Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Got My TF-100...SLAMing underway!

1. Back To Top    #1

Got My TF-100...SLAMing underway!

So I got my TF Test Kit last Saturday (unbelievebly fast shipping) and played with it throughout the weekend practicing the tests. We weren't ready to begin our SLAM yet because as some of you may remember, we got pool-stored into adding 25lbs of granular chlorine last week.

The initial CYA test came out in my estimation between 250-300....hard to tell because the solution basically looked like milk and only a few drops into the view tube, the dot was completely gone. Anyway...we spent Friday - Wednesday flushing out the pool...in my estimation, we probably exchanged 70% of the total water. Now our CYA is at 40-ish and we began to SLAM last night.

Pre-SLAM test results were -
    pH: 7.2
    TA: 150 (estimation because I don't feel like I have mastered this test, more on that later)
    CH: 200 (" ")
    FC: 2.5
    CC: 1.0
    CYA: 40

According to the relationship chart, our ideal shock target was 16. Per the calculator, this meant 4 jugs of 12.5% bleach so that is what I added. I tested again in 1-hour and it looked like we nailed it right at 16 FC!

This morning, I tested again and we were at -

FC: 7.0
    CC: 1.0

So I added the recommended 2 jugs and 1 cup of 12.5% bleach and went off to work....my wife will be testing again this afternoon and adjusting accordingly.

I really feel like we are on our way now. Thank you again so so much for your assistance!!! I really hope I can stick around and pay it forward some day!

If you have any advice based on the above, I would welcome that.
    Matt Miles

30,000-gallon, in ground, vinyl surface.
    Coverstar auto-cover
    Sta-Rite cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Got My TF-100...SLAMing underway!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles Family View Post
    If you have any advice based on the above, I would welcome that.
    Yes. You should be taking pictures!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like you're well on your way!

If you're having trouble with the endpoints on tests check out: Extended Test Kit Directions It's very helpful in explaining how to properly perform all the tests with confidence.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Yes. You should be taking pictures!
    Also this!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

Not the greatest lighting because our tree coverage is pretty ridiculous but here it is this past Sunday....there was no keeping kids out of this thing...lots of showers were taken in our house...

Pool-1.jpg
    Matt Miles

30,000-gallon, in ground, vinyl surface.
    Coverstar auto-cover
    Sta-Rite cartridge filter, Sta-Rite heater