Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my pump powerful enough for a fountain addition?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my pump powerful enough for a fountain addition?

Hi Everyone, I did a search for fountain and read a lot of great instructions and tips so I am fairly sure that I will be doing this mod when I have the pool up (I am still at leveling). My question is will the pump that came with my Intex ultra frame pool be powerful enough for this addition? I looked at at the signatures of people who have done this modification and it seems like all of them have the sand pump filter that looks a lot more powerful than mine. The model of the pump that came with my pool is 635T.

Thanks for your help.
    Intex 18' x 48" Ultra Frame Round Pool - AG, Intex Krystal Clear Model 28633EG 2500 Filter Pump, Intex Krystal Clear SWG #28663EG, TFT100 Test Kit, Hayward Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my pump powerful enough for a fountain addition?

The 635T you have is rated at 1500 gph, and should be able to handle a small fountain, if you put a throttling valve on your normal return. This will give you some control over how far your fountain will shoot.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Is my pump powerful enough for a fountain addition?

Thanks Charlie. I appreciate the response.