Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine question for pool cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine question for pool cleaner

Hi, I just bought my dolphin oasis z5 and have few questions. I read the website manual and it said use the cleaner in max 4 ppm chlorine. Normally I will keep my CYA in 40 and 7-9 ppm chlorine daily. Could i use my cleaner in this condition? Also when i do the SLAM (Shock), is there any problem using my cleaner?
    - NY Albany ~27000 water
    - In ground Vinyl 18' X 40' X 8' Deep Curved Roman End
    - Pentiar TA 60 Sand Filter
    - Pentair WhisperFlo 1HP Energy Efficient Full-Rated 2-Speed
    - 250K BTU Nat/Elec. Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: chlorine question for pool cleaner

Using the cleaner at your normal FC levels (7-9) is just fine. It is best to not use the cleaner at shock level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

that 4 ppm number they publish is making the assumption there is no CYA in the pool which buffers chlorine
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I might also suspect that its also a bit relative to the amount of time in the pool. Some of the dolphins have daily and weekly timers that I can only imagine is useful if you leave it in 24/7. Doing so is a whole different topic, but I'd suspect the plastics would hold up better if you had lower FC when "storing" the dolphin in the pool.
    CPO (15 years) 23K freeform Aqua Blue Mini, Omnilogic, Echostar, Colorlogic (2x12v), Jandy Laminars, Polaris 280, Dolphin M4