LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2014
Midland TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First Off THANK YOU for this forum. So much Information.
My Problem....
Just got my pool refilled and have been slamming it and brushing it everyday. Everyday (usually within 3-4 hours my FC will drop to 0). Heres my numbers.
FC 0
pH 6.8
TA 140
CH 400
CYA 0

Yes we have VERY hard water here. I would like some help figuring out what I should do first to get my water into shape. I know that it is usually best to work this in a particular order and I dont know where to start. Daytime temps will be in the 90's occasionally pushing 100.
Any Help would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

What test kit are you using?
Did you test the CC?

Likely part of the issue is your lack of stabilizer (CYA). At 0, you will lose half of your FC to the sun every hour.

Test kit = taylor K-1005
CC was also 0

So the first thing is to get some stabilizer into it?? I saw someone bought their stabilizer at WalMart is that as good a place as any? Are there any stabilizers to stay away from?

I have to add about 150 gallons of water every other day for evaporation.

Welcome! :wave:

Well... first off, how does it look? Is it still clear? That helps a lot!

Second, how are you testing?

Third, you need to raise pH. Luckily for you, aeration will handle that without any chemicals needed, due to your TA levels. Just point the returns up. If you have a spa, run it full blast. If you need to add water, hook the hose to a sprinkler and hang it over the edge upside down so it blasts the surface and churns things up.

Fourth, add some CYA via the sock method. Ignore the label on the bottle that tells you to pour it in the skimmer. People have clogged pipes, developed pump noises, damaged the pool floor, or wasted it by backwashing the filter before it's fully dissolved. You don't need to make every mistake personally! :mrgreen: Target 50 on the CYA.

You can add chemicals at the same time you're adjusting pH. And you can add bleach while the CYA is dissolving.

With ample CYA, you should have no problem holding chlorine.

With the right test kit and this forum, you can have crystal clear sparkling water the rest of the season. Water so clear you will be the envy of all who see it.

Richard,
I have seen your helpful advice ALL over this site. I have also seen your humor and wish that we had a "like" button. I have been trying to slam my pool since the 28th of MAY. I still have blobs of brownish/slightly green algae stuck to the bottom od my vinyl pool. I have bribed 3 of my grown children with steaks to get in the pool at SLAM level with green kitchen scrubbies on their feet to scrub this stuff away. I have for the last two days been maintaining the SLAM at 2-3ppm FC above recommended SLAM level. I have also been sweeping/"scrubbing" it with the pool brush at least 6 times / day. I even got in it today with scrubbies on my feet and went after the algae. Some of it would scrub up but most of it was very stubborn. I have been at this now for almost 2 weeks will this stuff ever scrub up? I need some confidence in POP..
For the last 2 days my numbers have been.....
FC 13-16
CC 0-0.5 mostly 0
pH 7.5-7.2
TA 170
CYA is now 38 (for the last day or 2) previously was lower...

Because of frustration I thought about getting FC up to 18-19 for a day or two and then having another steak party with all 3 kids scrubbing...
Because it is dark I will get some pics tomorrow of the brown streaks/stains....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.