TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Curious who's done this on their own? I'm handy. I do my own electrical and plumbing for the most part (Until I KNOW I'm going to be over my head.) Looking over the install manuals for some HP and they don't look too bad. The pad is already poured and the electric service is already at the pad for the HP. It's not so much the cost, it's that I enjoy doing these things myself. But since I've never installed a pool HP before, I don't want to make a mess of it. Seems simple enough, but. . .

None, yet. I don't have the unit yet - haven't even ordered it. Just curious what people have run into and if it's too advanced for the typical DIY'er or just right. I know it's not a yes/no answer and really depends on your level of skill. . .

I didn't, but in looking at it, it doesn't look bad. Make sure you bond it properly to everything else, have a backflow preventer in line on the way to the SWG (if you have one, I do - not sure if this is needed if you don't), and plumb it in...

I am no expert or advanced technician. I liked the job though. The plumbing was fairly easy but the measuring was tricky at times. Use schedule 40 PVC and quality primer and cement. The only other thing I can think of from my own experience (and maybe help save you a trip or two to the local hardware store) is make sure you have ball valves or other shut off values to create a by-pass so you can take the unit off the return line for maintenance or cleaning. I can send a pic of what I did just to give you a visual. Again, no expert but I have already used the bypass to take the unit offline.
Also, while you are cutting pipe, install a quality check valve after the heat pump and before a SWG or chlorinator. Jandy makes a good one.

Thanks for the info so far guys. Yes, all the manuals I've looked at show a bypass. Wasn't sure if that was also in that when the HP isn't running (For the hot months) if it was good to bypass it at that point? Or pointless. Any photos are absolutely welcome! Thanks!

Nope, not yet. Still fighting with myself over this. I REALLY feel like it won't be that bad and I have all the time in the world to do it myself. But if I run into a problem, am I going to be able to find someone to come out and resolve my issues. Plus I want to make sure it's right. . .

I have calls into two local companies that install Aquacal, which I believe is what I've decided on. One quoted me the TropiCal T75 based on what info I gave him, but he's going to stop out and assess what's needed for a full quote. The other guy has just been too busy (It is busy season, right!?)

Still trying to get more/better info on whether it's truly a good idea to oversize your HP (Not a good idea in the home HVAC world, but seems many people recommend it here.) So I'm also not confident in the unit I want.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.