Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 8.5" of rain in 36 hours, now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

8.5" of rain in 36 hours, now what?

I want to thank my pool leak guy for steering me to this site. Had high CYA 130, pool store said change water. After the leak was repaired 50% water already drained. Did a full drain, bleach wash, and refill. So I found this site bought bleach, chlorine and a TF-100 kit. Had zero CYA and CH. I was raising them and the pool was looking better than it has in many years.

Then 8.5 inches of rain in 36 hours. The pool is dirty from tree and landscaping dirt. Last night I cleaned, vacuumed and backwashed.

Monday am before rain temp 76

FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    TA 120
    CH 275
    CYA 27

Wed pm after rain temp 75

FC 3
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 80
    CH 250
    CYA 38

Added bleach last night to FC 5.

So... why did CYA go up? I was shooting for 30-35.
    I will retest in the AM.
    The pool water is very dirty now.
    Other than testing and non stop running & backwashing what can I do?
    TF-100 Test Kit. 25 year old plaster in ground, 16,600 gallons pool & spa, sand filter, the worlds oldest Jet Vac pool cleaner. Pool is surrounded and covered be large live oak trees.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 8.5" of rain in 36 hours, now what?

Normal margin of error for the CYA test is +/- 10ppm, plus it is a very subjective test and your results look like they came from some sort of electronic testing. You can't test CYA to that level of precision. Below 100ppm it will read in increments of 5ppm. To get accurate test results you should read the test in full sun with the sun at your back holding the viewing tube at waist level while you pour in the test solution. You read the test at the point where the black dot completely disappears. What are you using to test the water?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Your CYA didnt go up. Im wondering about your cya test result and how it got so precise? To the nearest 1ppm ?
    In any case, CYA test can be tricky, depending on how the sun is shining or not. Easy easy easy to see a 10ppm or more change between tests - with the same water! -.

The amount of light and which direction its coming from effects the test. Below is how TFP recommends testing CYA

Perform the CYA outdoors. Turn your back to the sun, hold the tube at waist level, look straight down into the tube, and hold your tongue crooked....
    you can repeat the test by pouring the water in the test tube back nto the squirt bottle again and then back into the test tube to confirm your first test. Repeat as necessary til you get the hang of it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Filtering, brushing, testing, dosing, that's the cure for pretty much all water chemistry/visibility issues. You're doing it!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Alan762 View Post
    Other than testing and non stop running & backwashing what can I do?
    That's about it really. You might consider a OCLT just to see if you have anything trying to gain a foothold in your pool. I had a pretty good rain event a few weeks ago-- everything cleared up pretty fast.

Don't forget to brush frequently too.
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum. How much time elapsed between the day you added the CYA and you FIRST tested?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Good news things look much better. There is no hint of green just brown. Bad news more heavy rain coming.

This morning i checked FC-3 Ph-7.5 I had some crab shell clarifier an phos free left over from the pre TFP days. I cycled in a double dose of both, then I added 64 oz 10% chlorine on the way out the door, shooting for FC-6.

I now think CYA is false due to dirty water, it has gone from 27 to 41, 37 and now 32. I will wait until back to normal on CYA.

Tonights readings, brushed, vacuumed backwashed and added 3/4 cup of DE tot he sand filter.

FC 5
    i forgot to do CC
    Ph 7.5 One bonus my Ph creep and high "was 180" TA is better.
    TA 80
    CH 250
    CYA 32

Will update later.

The wife really liked the new clear and sparkly pool water and thanks everyone.
    TF-100 Test Kit. 25 year old plaster in ground, 16,600 gallons pool & spa, sand filter, the worlds oldest Jet Vac pool cleaner. Pool is surrounded and covered be large live oak trees.