Pool lights in wrong place?

May 29, 2014
Blue Point, NY
Hi there...just poured the concrete for a 38 x24 free form pool. We had told the contractor we wanted two lights on the 38' side nearest the house. We have a water view so we didn't want to be staring into spotlights. Came home today to find two holes cut out of concrete on the water side. So they face the house. In effect, it is exactly what we didn't want! The holes are big too, approximately 10" across. Is there anything we can do? What If we patch? Will that compromise the integrity of the pool? Or do we get light filters(this is the contractors solution.). Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Lighting woes on new pool

Help! We are under construction for a new 38' x 24' free form pool. It is concrete w/vinyl liner. The builder cut holes in the concrete for the lights on the wrong side of the pool. He should have put the lights on the house side but I came home to two 10" holes on the opposite side. So now I look at lights when sitting on the deck looking at the view of the bay. Is there anything we can do to fix this? Patch? Dimmers? Diffusers? This has definitely bummed me out. We have two sets of stairs. One in deep end one in shallow on the house side. He put the skimmers on the house side too. :pale::pale::pale:

Also, I am supposed to have an 8 foot deep side. But it hasn't been dug that deep yet. Is this correct?

Re: Lighting woes on new pool

Since you're still in construction, I'd have them patch the holes in the shell and cut new ones on the opposite side. Unless, of course, it's already full of water and the decking has been poured.

What was the builders reasoning for doing what you didn't want? I'm guessing you had this discussion with them before it all got started? Even though there are times as the consumer we want something a certain way, it's just not correct when we start talking to the pro's.

Are you sure they are holes for the lights and not something else like returns? When they dug our pool, we had similar-sized holes all around the pool, but some were for lights, returns, vacuum hook-up, etc. Definitely talk to your PB!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.