Swimpure Plus, 0 chlorine

May 28, 2014
Hendersonville TN
My Swimpure diagnostics shows 26.2 as the volts and 7.51 as the amps when supposedly generating. I installed this week, got the chemicals in the OK range but there doesn't seem to be any chlorine generating. I am going to shock tomorrow with liquid bleach as there was zero chlorine in the pool when we opened for the spring. Am I expecting too much from this unit? I really expected to see some chlorine being read.

Re: Hayward Swimpure Plus

Welcome to TFP!

What is your CYA? Two things consume FC, the sun and stuff in the pool. A SWG generally is good at maintaining FC, not raising it from zero and overcoming something growing in the water.

Sounds like you need to follow the SLAM process as described in Pool School until you pass the 3 criteria to stop. Then dial in the SWG.

If your voltage and current are in the proper range, then the unit is making chlorine.

Your pump run time might be too short, your percent output might be too low or, as jblizzle notes, your cya might be too low, or you might have something growing, and in need of a Slam.

Which cell do you have?
What is your percent output?
What is your pump run time?

I've added 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach to the 22k pool and still no chlorine reading from two sets of test strips. Looks like the readings have gone a little high - ph between 7.8-8.4 ; alk 120-180 and CyA 100-150. I know - get better testing stuff which I've ordered and should be here today or Monday. Also this is a vinyl pool.

Pump and generator has been running for a day and half.

I really appreciate the assistance!

Welcome to TFP!

What is your CYA? Two things consume FC, the sun and stuff in the pool. A SWG generally is good at maintaining FC, not raising it from zero and overcoming something growing in the water.

Sounds like you need to follow the SLAM process as described in Pool School until you pass the 3 criteria to stop. Then dial in the SWG.

Follow up. I got the CYA down to the OK level for salt water. We SLAM'ed and finally got the chlorine up to a good level. Chlorine was fine yesterday afternoon. We had a little rain (.33 inch). This morning the chlorine is back to zero and I have steaks of algae. This thing is killing me. Any advice is very greatly appreciated.

When you say you SLAMed, do you mean you brought your FC up to the proper SLAM level for your CYA and kept it there until you:
1. Had less than 0.5 CC
2. Clear water with no visible algae
3. Passed the OCLT?

If not then you didn't fully SLAM your pool and that is why the problem is reoccurring.

Another followup:
I went back and followed the process you described. You're right, I originally didn't complete the process. I did and now have a clear pool with proper chlorine levels. Thank you all for your help. I also love the new Intelliflo pump that I installed. I had not realized how loud the Hayward Super Pump II was until I switched pumps.

When you say you SLAMed, do you mean you brought your FC up to the proper SLAM level for your CYA and kept it there until you:
1. Had less than 0.5 CC
2. Clear water with no visible algae
3. Passed the OCLT?

If not then you didn't fully SLAM your pool and that is why the problem is reoccurring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I doubt there is a person on the site who did their first SLAM perfectly the first time. Or in my case the second, third, or forth ;)

Awesome job, keep those levels on target (particularly FC above minimum) and your pool will stay beautiful!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.