Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metal screws in sw pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Metal screws in sw pool

My skimmer in my sw pool is held in place with metal screws. Is this normal? I've only had it up for a couple of weeks and they're already starting to rust. Any thoughts?

18k gal, AG, Sand filter, Aqua Trol SWG, Installed 5/2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Metal screws in sw pool

I would replace all the screws with stainless steel screws. A high quality stainless screw will not rust.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with ping. I have a year old sw pool. My skimmer screws show no sign of rust.

Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

4. Back To Top    #4

If it does this to the screws, how will it impact the sidewalls on a vinyl lined pool with metal walls?
    26,700 Gal., 18x36 IG pool with Vinyl. 1HP Hayward Super Pump; Hayward DE3620 Filter; Hayward SAS; TFT-100 test kit; Dolphin Atlantis Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

You could also use brass screws as they resist corrosion as well. If any expert chimes in that copper content of brass screws might be an issue though...

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by CLW42 View Post
    If it does this to the screws, how will it impact the sidewalls on a vinyl lined pool with metal walls?
    The gasket should keep the water inside the pool. There should be no contact at all between the walls and the water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

The gasket should keep the water inside the pool. There should be no contact at all between the walls and the water.
    Okay, makes sense. But what if you get a hole in your liner? Will the 'salt' water corrode the walls any worse than 'regular' pool water? It's not a huge concern, but just something I thought about when I saw this post.
    26,700 Gal., 18x36 IG pool with Vinyl. 1HP Hayward Super Pump; Hayward DE3620 Filter; Hayward SAS; TFT-100 test kit; Dolphin Atlantis Cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I agree brass would work but I think stainless steel is stronger and it's not a place where I'd want to take a chance breaking one off.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!