Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Having issues getting pool clear

1. Back To Top    #1

Post Having issues getting pool clear

We moved in our house last fall and was told from old owners they installed the 27x52 above ground pool in June 2012, used it that summer and loved how easy it was to maintain. They "closed" it in Oct 2012 by draining the water passed the skimmer and jet. They placed a tube used for tubbing at the lake and then a tarp over it and used some type of wire to keep in on. They drained the sand filter (300lb) and removed all hoses and pump and placed in storage in the shop. Not sure if they placed any chemicals when closing.
    They moved out by May 2013 and did not open the pool that summer. We moved in Sept 2013 and left it alone but the tarp was starting to tear a long one side due to the strong winds we get here in NW Okla. We had to have a new roof put on and we seen some of the wood shingles blow into the pool while removing the old roof.
    The first weekend of May we removed the tarp but it wasnt easy and we know lots of debris that was on the tarp made it into the pool. We drained the pool using the vacuum hose until it stopped sucking (about a foot from bottom). We couldnt think of what to do next and so we thought if we filled it back up and poured lots of bleach in it that would clear it up. We used about 10 gal of bleach and it made it just little cloudy.
    I took a water sample into one of the local pool companies and they had me use 5 lbs of shock, 1 gal of acid. Made sure the floaters had tablets in them also. Waited a few days and went back and tested water again. That time they had us use 2 lbs of shock, and 1/2 gal of acid. Told me to keep the pump on high. This time they told me to try to "blind" vac the bottom to see what we get. So we did that and did get some leaves and what looks like thick muck with algae in just a few areas along the edge where we removed the tarp.
    Now we're 3 weeks in and chunks of algae are starting to float to the top of the water. If we try to skim it off it just comes apart and clouds up. We dont know what to do next. I've used a few test strips and the chlorine is high but the water is blue but yet cloudy about half way down. It rained last few nights and today when I came home the water has turned darker and lots of dark green algae is layering the top of my pool. We're at a lost and dont know what to do besides drain it again and hope all the way this time.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to to clear it up so we can see the bottom so we know what is in there to clean it. Dont want to get in just incase there are some nails in the old wood roof..

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Having issues getting pool clear

1) You could use a leaf net to get as much stuff out as possible.
    2) purchase a recommended test kit
    3) SLAM the water based on instructions in pool school

Don't forget to add pictures and test results along the way.
    In ground 25,000 gallon - vinyl liner - Sand filter - residential pool
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

First: take pictures. We love swamp to sparkling photo essays.
    Second: A leaf rake will clear the sludge. BUT if there might be nails and screws in there, I'd be terrified to drag for it. All you need is a two foot slit in the liner to make everything else moot. My advice is to look for the biggest strongest magnet you can find and go fishing with that. I know there are magnets that can lift two or three pounds no problem.
    Third: Get a proper test kit. Not only can you not see the bottom right now, but you won't be able to see what you need and when and how much without it.
    Four: you don't want to drain it. The liner will shift and wrinkle and when it's empty, one gust of wind will collapse the whole works. The water provides the structural strength. Compare denting a full can of Coke versus an empty one. Same thing.

Before you dig into Pool School, try reading some of these stories:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...glorious-swamp!
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...28-TFP-Success
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ool-is-winning
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ark-Green-Pool
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...st-give-up-Can
    First Time Shocking with Bleach
    Pretty black pool
    A little encouragement for those with algae and new to BBB
    Frog Filled Green Swamp to Oasis---Work in Progress!!!
    Before and After Pool Pics
    Before and after!
    A final picture set of how well the BBB method works!

You will see in your reading that a proper test kit is essential. Don't expect the pool store to stock it. Save some grief and invest in the right one now. It should see you through clearing the swamp and through the summer until closing. http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html and get the XL option since the pool is a cesspool.

This is a leaf rake:
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you all for the info..... I'll see about getting a new test kit and we dont have a leaf net just a skimmer one and the algae just goes right through it..... I'll see about ordering the test kit tonight and going and picking up a leaf net and doing some reading.....
    The pool company suggested on draining it so started that last night but it's not half way so if that is not best then I need to go stop that and stating filling it back up I guess....
    Our sand filter is a 300 lb Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo II with brand new less then a week old sand, and the pump is a 2 hp Sta-Rite Dynamo

How to I get to where it says what our pool info is at the bottom?

5. Back To Top    #5

It would be easier to pick up shingles and screws and nails without puncturing the liner if you drain it. I just hope the liner doesn't shift and no gusty winds crop up while it's empty. It will certainly be easier to clear the water if it's fresh.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Please add your pool details to your signature and a useful location to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

Also, you are going to need to read this soon: How To Post Pictures
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm at a loss...... not sure what's the best cause we're so new to this....
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Back To Top    #8

Josh, you're going to need the test kit to finish the pool off in the SLAM. Once you get it, post a full set of test results and then you can get started. I don't think you should drain the pool. It's just wasting water IMO, unless the Pool Store has your CYA out of range.

You will need to read:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    Pool Calculator Instructions
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    SLAMing Your Pool
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I added the pools info in the signature spot..... did I do that right? L
    32,000 gal, 33x52 AG, 300lb Cristal-Flo II sand filter 145362C, 2 HP Dynamo 2 speed pump DYNII-N2-2, Install date June 2012, bought house Jan 2014.

10. Back To Top    #10

10257653_10203196624028138_288079776193972840_o.jpg
    What my pool looked like on Monday

I cant post a pic from today showing all the algae that has came to the top.....

L
    32,000 gal, 33x52 AG, 300lb Cristal-Flo II sand filter 145362C, 2 HP Dynamo 2 speed pump DYNII-N2-2, Install date June 2012, bought house Jan 2014.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok I order the test kit and should have it in a few days

The pressure gauge isnt reading..... The filter only ran about 4 mos in the last 2 yrs do you think it's broken cause it wasnt used or is there something I could try? Or should I just buy a new one?

12. Back To Top    #12

Gauges die frequently. When's the last time you saw the pressure gauge on a tire air hose that worked right? They're easy to replace.

13. Back To Top    #13

Congrats on the test kit!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok so it's half drained and stopped. So I went and bought 10 gals of bleach and and a cheaper htc test kit until the other one gets here. I bought a leaf net also. Should I go a head and try scooping the bottom along the edge now while it's nasty or see if 10 gal will clear up being roughly 7000 gal of water is now drained out. L

15. Back To Top    #15

You should not be trying to clear up the water with the pool not filled and the pump not running.

Sure scoop out what you can, but then fill it up, get circulating and then SLAM.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

16. Back To Top    #16

So it won't clear up with out circulation ?

Sorry I'm completely new to this

17. Back To Top    #17

You need to be circulating the chlorine and filtering out all the dead algae.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

And that goes to waste right?

I bought a new pressure gauge also but where does the algae go while on filter? Back into the pool?

19. Back To Top    #19

The dead algae will be trapped in the sand filter ... that is the point of a filter. When the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure, you will backwash the filter and dump all the dead stuff out of the filter. Then start the process again.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Drag the floor with a leaf rake. The more debris you get out, the faster things will clear and the less bleach you will use.

Your filter is designed to strain anything bigger than a few microns out of the water - stuff too small to see with the naked eye. It's no different than your furnace filter or the air filter in your car. It catches the fine dust. When the pool filter gets full of crud, you clean it, instead of tossing it. If the filter normally runs at 20 psi, when it gets to 25 psi, you backwash it. That's a 25% increase in pressure.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast