Having issues getting pool clear

May 25, 2014
Lahoma, Okla
We moved in our house last fall and was told from old owners they installed the 27x52 above ground pool in June 2012, used it that summer and loved how easy it was to maintain. They "closed" it in Oct 2012 by draining the water passed the skimmer and jet. They placed a tube used for tubbing at the lake and then a tarp over it and used some type of wire to keep in on. They drained the sand filter (300lb) and removed all hoses and pump and placed in storage in the shop. Not sure if they placed any chemicals when closing.
They moved out by May 2013 and did not open the pool that summer. We moved in Sept 2013 and left it alone but the tarp was starting to tear a long one side due to the strong winds we get here in NW Okla. We had to have a new roof put on and we seen some of the wood shingles blow into the pool while removing the old roof.
The first weekend of May we removed the tarp but it wasnt easy and we know lots of debris that was on the tarp made it into the pool. We drained the pool using the vacuum hose until it stopped sucking (about a foot from bottom). We couldnt think of what to do next and so we thought if we filled it back up and poured lots of bleach in it that would clear it up. We used about 10 gal of bleach and it made it just little cloudy.
I took a water sample into one of the local pool companies and they had me use 5 lbs of shock, 1 gal of acid. Made sure the floaters had tablets in them also. Waited a few days and went back and tested water again. That time they had us use 2 lbs of shock, and 1/2 gal of acid. Told me to keep the pump on high. This time they told me to try to "blind" vac the bottom to see what we get. So we did that and did get some leaves and what looks like thick muck with algae in just a few areas along the edge where we removed the tarp.
Now we're 3 weeks in and chunks of algae are starting to float to the top of the water. If we try to skim it off it just comes apart and clouds up. We dont know what to do next. I've used a few test strips and the chlorine is high but the water is blue but yet cloudy about half way down. It rained last few nights and today when I came home the water has turned darker and lots of dark green algae is layering the top of my pool. We're at a lost and dont know what to do besides drain it again and hope all the way this time.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to to clear it up so we can see the bottom so we know what is in there to clean it. Dont want to get in just incase there are some nails in the old wood roof..

1) You could use a leaf net to get as much stuff out as possible.
2) purchase a recommended test kit
3) SLAM the water based on instructions in pool school

Don't forget to add pictures and test results along the way.

Welcome! :wave:

First: take pictures. We love swamp to sparkling photo essays.
Second: A leaf rake will clear the sludge. BUT if there might be nails and screws in there, I'd be terrified to drag for it. All you need is a two foot slit in the liner to make everything else moot. My advice is to look for the biggest strongest magnet you can find and go fishing with that. I know there are magnets that can lift two or three pounds no problem.
Third: Get a proper test kit. Not only can you not see the bottom right now, but you won't be able to see what you need and when and how much without it.
Four: you don't want to drain it. The liner will shift and wrinkle and when it's empty, one gust of wind will collapse the whole works. The water provides the structural strength. Compare denting a full can of Coke versus an empty one. Same thing.

Before you dig into Pool School, try reading some of these stories:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...glorious-swamp!
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...28-TFP-Success
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ool-is-winning
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ark-Green-Pool
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...st-give-up-Can
First Time Shocking with Bleach
Pretty black pool
A little encouragement for those with algae and new to BBB
Frog Filled Green Swamp to Oasis---Work in Progress!!!
Before and After Pool Pics
Before and after!
A final picture set of how well the BBB method works!

You will see in your reading that a proper test kit is essential. Don't expect the pool store to stock it. Save some grief and invest in the right one now. It should see you through clearing the swamp and through the summer until closing. http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html and get the XL option since the pool is a cesspool.

This is a leaf rake:
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

Thank you all for the info..... I'll see about getting a new test kit and we dont have a leaf net just a skimmer one and the algae just goes right through it..... I'll see about ordering the test kit tonight and going and picking up a leaf net and doing some reading.....
The pool company suggested on draining it so started that last night but it's not half way so if that is not best then I need to go stop that and stating filling it back up I guess....
Our sand filter is a 300 lb Sta-Rite Cristal-Flo II with brand new less then a week old sand, and the pump is a 2 hp Sta-Rite Dynamo

How to I get to where it says what our pool info is at the bottom?

Attachments

• 10410564_10203196181857084_1161641484757009826_n.jpg
    10410564_10203196181857084_1161641484757009826_n.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 1384206_10203196181537076_6538204615540099657_n.jpg
    1384206_10203196181537076_6538204615540099657_n.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 267
Josh, you're going to need the test kit to finish the pool off in the SLAM. Once you get it, post a full set of test results and then you can get started. I don't think you should drain the pool. It's just wasting water IMO, unless the Pool Store has your CYA out of range.

You will need to read:

:lookhere: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
:lookhere: Chlorine CYA Chart
:lookhere: Pool Calculator Instructions
:lookhere: Defeating Algae
:lookhere: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
:lookhere: SLAMing Your Pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I order the test kit and should have it in a few days

The pressure gauge isnt reading..... The filter only ran about 4 mos in the last 2 yrs do you think it's broken cause it wasnt used or is there something I could try? Or should I just buy a new one?

Ok so it's half drained and stopped. So I went and bought 10 gals of bleach and and a cheaper htc test kit until the other one gets here. I bought a leaf net also. Should I go a head and try scooping the bottom along the edge now while it's nasty or see if 10 gal will clear up being roughly 7000 gal of water is now drained out. L

You should not be trying to clear up the water with the pool not filled and the pump not running.

Sure scoop out what you can, but then fill it up, get circulating and then SLAM.

The dead algae will be trapped in the sand filter ... that is the point of a filter. When the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure, you will backwash the filter and dump all the dead stuff out of the filter. Then start the process again.

Drag the floor with a leaf rake. The more debris you get out, the faster things will clear and the less bleach you will use.

Your filter is designed to strain anything bigger than a few microns out of the water - stuff too small to see with the naked eye. It's no different than your furnace filter or the air filter in your car. It catches the fine dust. When the pool filter gets full of crud, you clean it, instead of tossing it. If the filter normally runs at 20 psi, when it gets to 25 psi, you backwash it. That's a 25% increase in pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.