Hi everyone!, just joined last night after lurking on your site for a week. I will be getting an intex ultraframe pool next week (18 x 52). I'm trying to do my homework. We will be working on the site this weekend, I have already priced foam, paver blocks for under the legs, etc. I will be using the sand filter pump that is coming with the pool package. I have been reading and re-reading Pool school and posts, but still have some questions.
1. I will buy the clorox, backing soda and borax, but should I get salt too?
2. I am on deep well water (almost like spring water), we are lucky that we live over an aquifer. How long after the pool is filled and the pump is started do I do my first testing? I read of some people starting off by putting salt in, should I?
3. I see the post in pool chemistry that discusses the tests and how the tests for chlorine are different in the recommended tests vs. the storebought kind. What is the difference between these tests? I guess the scientist in me wants to know what the extra $50 is for.
4. It looks like the recommended test kits have different numbers of tests for each chemistry. Why? Does that mean that I shouldn't be testing for all the chemicals at the same frequency?
5. My husband is already worried about the maintenance of the pool. I told him I would take care of it with TFP's help! If anyone could just bolster my confidence it would certainly help! I hope I'm gonna love my intex like so many other members here!