Reduced pressure and air bubble in bottom basket

May 28, 2014
Beebe, Arkansas
My pump is a swimpro sw256t sand filter. When I try to backwash, the pressure is really low. When I rinse, the sight bulb has an air bubble in it. And there is very little suction at the skimmer. Yesterday I put a valve in the line that goes from the skimmer to the bottom basket. It was working ok right after that. I was able to vacuum. Now, there isn't enough pull at the skimmer to vacuum. Any ideas?

I don't really know. I inherited the pool when I bought the house last fall. I don't think the pressure gauge is working. Even if it does, the glass is so fogged I can't tell if it is. Also, I installed a valve yesterday. I went out this morning, unhooked the line from the skimmer to the bottom basket and checked the valve to make sure it was working properly. When I put it back on I tightened the clamp tighter than what it was. Then when I turned the pump on, there wasn't any air in the bottom basket. So I turned the lever to backwash to see if I had pressure there. As soon as I turned on the pump, air was back in the bottom basket. What is this I'm hearing about using shave cream to detect air leaks? Do I use the foam type or the gel type? I'm gathering I can put it all around the joints?

I don't really know. I inherited the pool when I bought the house last fall. I don't think the pressure gauge is working. Even if it does, the glass is so fogged I can't tell if it is. Also, I installed a valve yesterday. I went out this morning, unhooked the line from the skimmer to the bottom basket and checked the valve to make sure it was working properly. When I put it back on I tightened the clamp tighter than what it was. Then when I turned the pump on, there wasn't any air in the bottom basket. So I turned the lever to backwash to see if I had pressure there. As soon as I turned on the pump, air was back in the bottom basket. What is this I'm hearing about using shave cream to detect air leaks? Do I use the foam type or the gel type? I'm gathering I can put it all around the joints?
You have water in the hose from skimmer to the pump, yes? The pump basket is full of water, yes? You turn the pump on and it starts sucking air? Sounds to me like the water level is to low in the skimmer and the pump just sucked it dry.

And this is the end of my troubleshooting ability without knowing what your normal filter pressure is and what it is now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.