Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened by ourselves for the first time. What do you think?

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened by ourselves for the first time. What do you think?

We opened our pool by ourselves for the first time this year (instead of the pool store doing it ) And last year, after a new liner and refill, I started using bleach to chlorinate (was using a frog, CYA was out of control).

Long story short, I wanted to give you a run down and get your opinion on our levels so here's the stats...

Ohio, 27' round AGP, sand filter, bleach for chlorine, Testing with Taylor K2006.

Latest test results
    FC 3
    PH 7.4
    TA 130
    CYA 30ish.

Crystal clear water after an initial clear up. Is CYA ok? It might be slightly below that. I did the test inside the house because it was getting late. I'll do another tomorrow outside like I'm supposed to.

And I do have one question. We have well water and it reacts horribly with chlorine and turns an ugly brown/green for a few days every time we have to add some water. Is there anything we can do to help that? Hopefully we won't have to add too much more water.
    Ohio, 27' x 52" AGP, New Install, Cartridge, 1.5HP Pump, K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened by ourselves for the first time. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by kmgt View Post
    We opened our pool by ourselves for the first time this year (instead of the pool store doing it ) And last year, after a new liner and refill, I started using bleach to chlorinate (was using a frog, CYA was out of control).

Long story short, I wanted to give you a run down and get your opinion on our levels so here's the stats...

Ohio, 27' round AGP, sand filter, bleach for chlorine, Testing with Taylor K2006.

Latest test results
    FC 3
    PH 7.4
    TA 130
    CYA 30ish.

Crystal clear water after an initial clear up. Is CYA ok? It might be slightly below that. I did the test inside the house because it was getting late. I'll do another tomorrow outside like I'm supposed to.

And I do have one question. We have well water and it reacts horribly with chlorine and turns an ugly brown/green for a few days every time we have to add some water. Is there anything we can do to help that? Hopefully we won't have to add too much more water.
    If it turns brown and cloudy, that's a good thing! It's called precipitation, and it means you can filter it out and backwash the iron away! People have lined the skimmer baskets with paper towels or pillow stuffing, anything to catch that crud. Here's a recent thread where someone did just that. Check out the picture in post 23. You might be able to get the precipitate out with the filter if you add a little DE.

For long term, you could use sequestrants. Metal problems
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I've been using a skimmer sock (well, a woman's knee high ) and that seemed to help a lot.

Do my levels look good to you?
    Ohio, 27' x 52" AGP, New Install, Cartridge, 1.5HP Pump, K2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by kmgt View Post
    Thanks! I've been using a skimmer sock (well, a woman's knee high ) and that seemed to help a lot.

Do my levels look good to you?
    For the moment. You'll probably be wanting to raise CYA so you don't lose so much FC to the sun, aqnd then the FC minimum needs to come up accordingly. And you'll need to feed the pool chlorine daily. Expect the pH to rise with that TA. Just lower pH to 7.2 when it gets to 7.8 and the TA will come down automatically.

The real key is: What does it look like? Nobody but us care about your levels. The rest of the world cares about super clear, sparkling water that doesn't dry the skin or burn the eyes or smell.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Do the CYA test again outside on a sunny day and see what you come up with. You want that level to be in the 30-50 range. I keep mine at 40 and I get a good 10-11 hrs of full sun.
    Your PH is good and your FC is in range if your CYA level is 30. 2 would be the bare min for that CYA level. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

HI kmgt,
    you CYA is just on the low side at 30. After you test it again outside (like you're supposed to ) then if its still 30, you might want to bump it up to 40 or 50, if you are not using a swg.
    for reference, here is link for you to recommended levels.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...mmended-levels
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!