Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete deck, refinish or other options?

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete deck, refinish or other options?

Our concrete deck is looking its age I was hoping there might be a fix for it that would be cheaper than ripping out what we have and starting new. I've included a picture below and can take others if needed. Ours is a stamped pattern and I was really hoping I could just paint/seal it or something that I could put on top of it that would refresh the look and maybe even change the colour. The darker colour gets warm on the feet in the summer sun.

Any options to make it look better? What should I be avoiding?

16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete deck, refinish or other options?

man this is a GREAT pic!! haha!

There are several options you could do.
    Concrete paint is probebly the least expensive option.

You could overlay with something like cool deck
    or you can have a thin overlay or cement poured on top of it
    A sone overlay overlay could be done
    several more things.....

YouTube has a lot of videos on refinishing concrete, or concrete overlays... Interesting stuff what all they can do these days.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you given it a good cleaning with a power washer? If not, that's the first step no matter what you decide to do in the end.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the tips! I am going to pressure wash it for sure first. But think I might do the paint route after doing more googling as I don't mind the effort knowing sure I'll have to repaint it every other year probably as the total amount of deck is no that big and even after painting for years I'll still be less than replacing or other major repair. I also want to lighten the colour so that will be a benefit too.

LOL about the pic. that was in my photobucket from my test kit. I had to jump through hoops to get it since I live in the great white north.
    16x32 Kidney Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Generator, Omnilogic, Tristar Vari Flo Sand Filter, Colour Logic LED, WFSD Waterfall, 250 BTU Millivolt, GVA-24 Valve Actuator TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool 1
    Pool 2
    my build

5. Back To Top    #5

I am planning to acid stain my ugly patio. I have talked to several people who have done their houses and it seems like a reasonable task. Cola color is the most popular around here (seriously, google cola color acid stain) but I saw some beautiful green not long ago. I will be sure to use an anti slip coating since people will be crossing it with wet feet.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014