Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is the max water level relative to skimmers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Austin, TX

What is the max water level relative to skimmers?

We had a few heavy rain storms recently. The water level is higher than the top of the skimmer opening in the pool. As a result, water is not being skimmed. I assume we want to keep the water below the top end of that opening, right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Lazy-L shaped pool and a spa. 22.5k gallons. Pentair VS pump. Pentair cartridge filter CCP520. STA-Rite SR400NA heater (400K BTU). Hayward salt system. Leuder limestone coping. Pebble sheen (blue granite) Wooden deck.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: What is the max water level relative to skimmers?

You are correct. You'll get filtering but no skimming action the way it is.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Chapin, SC

If my water gets just before the top of the skimmer opening and especially above it, it finds some way to get between the liner and wall so I try to keep it at mid skimmer.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    Langwarrin, Victoria, Australia

recomended level is from 1/3 to 1/2 up the opening from bottom of skimmer as long as it doesn't suck air
    SWG inground peanut shaped painted concrete pool
    50,000 litres 13,000 gallons
    Lincoln Salt Chlorinator, 25 gram cell Sand Filter
    Taylor K2006-C test kit, Taylor K-1766 salt test
    are you taking care of your pool or is the poolshop taking care of you

5. Back To Top    #5

The floating door or weir in the skimmer rises and falls with the level of your pool. It essentially changes the height of your skimmer opening according to water level. it is also like a one way valve for debris. If the water level is too high the debris will be blocked by the top of the skimmer opening. I keep my level about an inch below the top of the opening. This is a little high, but the high water level helps my autocover to glide more easily.
    " A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    19,000 gallon sylvan pool, Easytouch 2 4p automation, Screenlogic interface, Intelliflo VF 3050 pump, Intellichem with Intellichlor 40 chlorinator/Muriatic acid, Raypac millivolt natural gas heater.Polaris pool cleaner with booster pump.Coverstar automatic cover hydraulic mechanism with PCS cover. Wet edge Luna quartz finish 2016. Northeast climate.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Central Minnesota

So much rain this spring has my pool level kissing the top of my skimmer opening weekly. Free backflushing but I'd like to get more CYA in my pool, not less. (A good problem to have I suppose) Good to hear what levels are best for skimming.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons