New Member Intro - kerryman71

kerryman71

LifeTime Supporter
May 26, 2014
Worcester, MA
Hello,

New member here, located in Central Massachusetts. I'm the new president of our condo association with a 33K gallon in ground pool. I've been
educating myself on pool upkeep and maintenance as much as possible. Lots of great information here. Thanks for the site.

John

Welcome to TFP.

Pool School is full of educational material to make pool care trouble free!

Welcome! :wave:

Be aware that our methods are geared more to the homeowner who is on-site and can test and treat the water daily. If you have a pool service, undoubtably he'll do things differently. But knowledge will help you keep him honest! I was on the HOA board where I used to live, and you really need to watch the expenses!

You have the added burden of being a public pool, and the state or county health department has their own regulations, and sometimes they are hopelessly outdated, but they're still the law. It might be worthwhile to google things. Stuff like this.

Thanks for the information. Our VP has been taking care of the pool for a few years now. We have a CPO that checks the pool once a week and helps get it up and running and helps close it. In between
we pretty much do everything else; check levels four times a day, add chemicals as needed, clean and maintain the pool, etc. I recently took the online Pool & Spa Operator test from NSPF so that I
can further educate myself. It's worked out well as the VP has done things how he was shown by the past president, which weren't really efficient or necessarily the right way. I even cited the Massachusetts
General Laws to him to let him know that technically we were in violation and needed to update things such as our signage and rope divider, both of which he was unaware of. We had the CPO come out
for a day and go over everything with us just to show us the way things should be done.

When I take something on I try to really immerse (no pun intended) myself into it, especially something like this where the health of many people can be affected. This site has helped quite a bit
and I'm sure will continue to do so. Thanks.

John

Thanks for that link. I'll check it out more in depth when I have more time. I met with the VP tonight so we could increase the calcium hardness. It was right at 200 and we wanted it up. I loaded up a plastic
bucket of the appropriate amount of Hardness Plus and brought it out to the pool. I looked at him and said "You know what this is, right?" He says yeah, Hardness Plus. I said yes, otherwise known as
ice melt. We buy about 15 50lb bags of the stuff for the winter at $17 per bag. I bought the 45lb bucket of Hardness Plus for about $66. He looked at me with that "You're kidding me?!" look on his face.

Thanks to this site I learned that, as well as the fact that not just any ice melt will do. Thanks again.

John