New pool open but no testing kit yet

May 25, 2014
Minneapolis mn
I opened a 12 x 39 AG Intex pool on Sunday. It holds 1700 gallons I believe. I have a bigger 1500 g/h intex cartridge pump.

Until I order a test kit and receive it, what can you recommend I do for water treatment other then nothing?

Thank you.

Chlorine bleach

I highly suggest the TF-100 or a K2006 test kits. While the pool may be small, the smaller amount of water means that any additions to the pool have a larger effect on the pool and this means you have a smaller margin for error. It also mean any additions of chlorine blocks/sticks/pucks or powders will generally raise the conditioner (CYA) to levels that make the pool even harder to maintain.

This si voice of experience and many dump and fill summers. I suggest you read the Pool School, especially the section on Seasonal Pools.

Welcome! :wave:

Well.... with a fresh fill, you know you'll have no FC and no CYA. pH could be anywhere.

Did they give you any chemicals with the pool? If it came with a floater and some pucks, use them just keep track of how many you've used until you get your test kit and can take care of things properly.

If not, go raid the laundry room and steal the clorox and add a cup of bleach twice a day. After anyone's been in it, add an extra cup. That will get FC to 3 each time. It won't last without any stabilizer, but it should keep things sanitary and prevent algae from starting. If it doesn't, it's such a small pool you could dump it and start over.

The pool chlorine from last year may be very weak. Time to buy some new. I tend to buy the two packs at Walmart. In the pool or garden areas. The strong stuff is a push on cost when I add gas and time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.