Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PoolMath vs PoolSchool Recommended Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

PoolMath vs PoolSchool Recommended Levels

Has one or the other not been updated, the numbers don't jive for some things:

Pool School SWG/Plaster FC: 3-5, PoolMath Goal SWG/Plaster 3-10
    pH: Matches
    TA: Matches
    CH: Matches
    CYA: Matches
    13,000 gallons w/ spa (in-ground) | Plaster pool surface
    2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PoolMath vs PoolSchool Recommended Levels

Those are general guidelines.

The actual recommended FC levels are a function of your CYA ... and the minimums (which are the most important) do match between everything.

What exactly are you concerned about or trying to figure out?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What exactly are you concerned about or trying to figure out?
    An appropriate FC level to keep my pool at. 3-5 isn't a wide range, I'd shoot for 4. But 3-10 in poolmath, the median is around 7... which above the Target on the CYA/FC chart. So it makes no sense to me.
    2.5HP Jandy Stealth Pump | CL580 Filter | Polaris 480 Pro w/ Halcyon Pump | 400,000 BTU Jandy LT | Jandy Aquapure 3PPM | Jandy PS4

4. Back To Top    #4

You have to target a high enough level to stay above the minimum. That is all that matters.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I also don't get pool math.. it tells me THREE different levels?

So goal is 3-10, but suggested is SWG: 3 (for SWG pools?) Normal (Normal to whom or what?) is 5 to 10?

That's 3 different levels... The SWG level of 3 is the bare minimum on the CYA/FC chart.

This is all very contradictory of each other to me.

6. Back To Top    #6

I think you're WAY over thinking this.

Does your pool have a SWG? Yes? Then use the SWG minimum. No? Then your pool is "normal" and you use that minimum. Target a couple or three FC over your min. Absolutely no need to go over the upper end of the goal (10 in your case weather or not your pool is SWG or normal) outside of a SLAM.

Absolute precision isn't required in maintaining these levels just so long as they're "in range" and you expect them to remain that way until your next test.
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by freqz View Post
    I think you're WAY over thinking this.

Does your pool have a SWG? Yes? Then use the SWG minimum. No? Then your pool is "normal" and you use that minimum. Target a couple or three FC over your min. Absolutely no need to go over the upper end of the goal (10 in your case weather or not your pool is SWG or normal) outside of a SLAM.

Absolute precision isn't required in maintaining these levels just so long as they're "in range" and you expect them to remain that way until your next test.
    Yes it does have a SWG. Maybe I am way over thinking it, but as a software developer if my user selected "SWG" it would not even show "Normal" FC targets for non SWG pools. That's what the pulldown is for right? To set ranges appropriate to your application!

8. Back To Top    #8

The SWG minimum is lower than the normal minimum. That is all that matters. You are overthinking it I think. There is no single number for you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    Yes it does have a SWG. Maybe I am way over thinking it, but as a software developer if my user selected "SWG" it would not even show "Normal" FC targets for non SWG pools. That's what the pulldown is for right? To set ranges appropriate to your application!

I get it, but I'm an engineer so I'm used to dealing with busy UIs
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mindflux View Post
    Well, there you go ... create your own superior calculator. Problem solved.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Well, there you go ... create your own superior calculator. Problem solved.
    I don't want to do that. I just want some clarification on why there are 3 recommended levels on there given my selected options. Now I know, it shows SWG levels and "Normal" (meaning non-SWG) levels and a broad range which is apparently acceptable across the board.

12. Back To Top    #12

Let me try this.

There are not three levels. There is a minimum free chlorine level necessary to maintain your pool. There are different ways to introduce the chlorine to the pool.

One way is with a SWG which usually results in a fairly steady stream of chlorine being introduced and can generally be set so that you will maintain a certain level in the pool consistently.
    Many pools not using a SWG and using liquid chlorine introduce it in a way that results in the chlorine level fluctuating. They get a range so that they can put chlorine in their pool manually and not place too much in and have most of it destroyed by the sun, yet still have a sufficient amount so that the pool always stays above the minimum.

SWGs have a lower firm number because they will consistently introduce chlorine so their margin above the minimum level is lower.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall