Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting to SWG with Painted Pool Rocks

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting to SWG with Painted Pool Rocks

Everything in the picture below: The border of the pool, the waterfall, deck, etc. is painted using what I think is just normal (or outdoor) paint. The water actually comes up over the painted border, so there's about a foot of painted rocks below the water.

I really, really love taking care of my pool, but time and travel is taking its toll, and I don't trust anyone else to touch it. What happens to the paint if I convert to an SWG system? Is there a coating, or something I can use to repaint everything that will hold up better?

At worst I can put in an IntelliChem with a chlorine tank, but you'd be amazed how much chlorine a pool can use in a Vegas summer.

pool.jpg
    12K gallon 8' in-ground w/ Hef-style mini-grotto - Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520 - Pentair MasterTemp 400BTU Heater - UltraPure Oxidizer - Nature2 ProG Mineral Filter (unused) - Pentair 320 Chlorine Feeder (Unused) - A&A In-Floor Max - Pentair Intellitouch i7+3 w/ Mobi and iPhone/PC ScreenLogic - IntelliBrite Color LED x 3 - Intellibrite Landscape LED x 10 - TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting to SWG with Painted Pool Rocks

I would not think the added salt for the SWG would have any real effect on your painted rocks. You can always have them out to repaint them if there is a problem.

What is your CYA level? Maybe you are loosing too much FC to the sun and would be better with higher CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Your pool probably consumes about as much as mine in Phoenix lol I had my faux rocks reprinted and the guy used a small hand pump sprayer. He had colors of tint he mixed with water till he achieved a color I liked. Came out great but didn't last due to what ever material they are made of was flaking. They needed a new skim coat then painted.
    You can do a search I posted some pictures before/after
    13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What is your CYA level? Maybe you are loosing too much FC to the sun and would be better with higher CYA.
    I keep it at 30 because I like to keep the concentration of chlorine as low as possible. Not really an issue since I don't have much time to keep up with it manually either way. I need to find the best automation that won't destroy my paint job.

Thank you for the reply.
    12K gallon 8' in-ground w/ Hef-style mini-grotto - Pentair IntelliFlo VS-3050 - Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520 - Pentair MasterTemp 400BTU Heater - UltraPure Oxidizer - Nature2 ProG Mineral Filter (unused) - Pentair 320 Chlorine Feeder (Unused) - A&A In-Floor Max - Pentair Intellitouch i7+3 w/ Mobi and iPhone/PC ScreenLogic - IntelliBrite Color LED x 3 - Intellibrite Landscape LED x 10 - TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

That is not how chlorine works. The stabilizer binds with it and buffers it which lowers the active chlorine level in your pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!