Motor problems

Emarshbuck

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 3, 2013
Hilton Head, SC
I installed a 1 1/2HP emerson 1081 pool motor 2 years ago. worked fine until today...sigh

Now it will run for 5-10 seconds, I see water coming in, I smell something burning, then it shuts down. Let it cool for a few minutes, starts again, stops again.

Makes a sound like it's grinding meat...

bearings? fixable? replace?

thx

with a meat grinder sound ... hmmm.

Does the shaft spin freely?

I'm thinking you will need to tear it apart ot see if something got stuck in the impeller. If not it is bearings or replace it.

ok, pool techie just left, spotted the likely leak in the skimmer return....I'll work on that this weekend with WaterWeld, unless there is a better product that is recommended....

Meanwhile, techie also turned my motor on for a second, heard the humming sound, turned it off and said "new motor!". Do I trust him, or do I still look to see if the empeller is clogged or a bearing is bad.

I can order a new motor for $212 online, free shipping, I'll get it mid-week if I order today.....

suggestions?

thx

I would check it out first, he is likely right, but there is a chance it is something simple to fix.

Ike

p.s. I am often amazed at the things people give up on, I know a guy that owns a tow truck business and over the years he has picked up a number of abandoned cars that were simple to fix. Best example I can think of was 10 or so years ago, he towed an abandoned 2-3 year old Honda CRV, owner was behind on payments so left it where it stopped on the side of the interstate. The problem was it was low on transmission fluid due to a small leak in the transmission pan gasket. After filing for the title when no one claimed the car (finance companies never want broken vehicles back), he filled it with transmission fluid, it worked fine, he fixed the leak and his wife ended up driving it for years.

Oh, you don't know me....drive my wife crazy....

Jenn-Aire oven, 7 years old...controls go out...she's thinking new range...I find the circuit board @ repairclinic.com ($5 lifetime membership)....$100 later, oven works great

same w/Jenn-aire frig, ice maker starts leaking...repairclinic.com....$85!

last season I installed a new Hayward (sp?) wet end...

she asked me this afternoon if I had ordered a new pump....nope, got to check out a couple of things....she reached for her wine glass :>)

now quick question...I don't think I need a 1.5hp motor for a 4k gallon pool....techie agrees, but cautions me to check that the impeller is not sized for 1.5hp....how do I do that? some type of code on the impeller?

Well gents, this seems like time for a new motor. Took the back off, lots of dust on the windings, even a few dried up leaves fell out, rust on the shaft, front of motor has lots of mineral deposits. I thought these things were supposed to be water proof! It was so rusted that the 4 long bolts each broke as I was removing them.

After removing from the wet end, it ran for about a minute, then I could actually see smoke coming off it, it got very hot, then shut down. I don't think I properly sealed the plastic cover over the capacitor and the impeller when I installed the new motor 2 years ago. Teflon next time?

Now, the impeller is a Haywood SP2610C. I would like to "downsize" the pump to 1HP. Do I need to get a different impeller, and where do you recommend buying a new motor? And what's the best pump motor to buy?

Thanks all!

Hmm, don't see a model # on the wet end. The square flange that connects to the motor is a 1600SF, the basket inside the wet end (under the glass cover) is a model SP-1600-M. Could it be a 1600?

The motor is an Emerson catalog # EB129, model K63CXERK-4777, frame 56J, round flange. About 12" long, 6 1/2" diameter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pool supply world should be able to hook you up with a foot.

On the motor do you want to go 2 speed?

Edit

Make sure you get a foot that accommodates both motor sizes.

By default the super pump has a skinnier motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.