Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor problems

I installed a 1 1/2HP emerson 1081 pool motor 2 years ago. worked fine until today...sigh

Now it will run for 5-10 seconds, I see water coming in, I smell something burning, then it shuts down. Let it cool for a few minutes, starts again, stops again.

Makes a sound like it's grinding meat...

bearings? fixable? replace?

thx
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor problems

with a meat grinder sound ... hmmm.

Does the shaft spin freely?

I'm thinking you will need to tear it apart ot see if something got stuck in the impeller. If not it is bearings or replace it.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

That sounds like you may have it setup for the wrong voltage. Make sure the pump and the supply are both setup for the same voltage.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Hmm, well, it's been working great for at leas two years....I'm gonna take it off the wet end and see if something is stuck...and also check the bearing..

thx
    4k, IG, Gunnite, Jandy Valve, 1HP Haywood, 2" flow, single 2" line for skimming & vacuum, Pentair FNSP 36 DE w/125 GPM Multiport 50 PSI, TF-100 Test Kit, built 1991, Hilton Head, SC

5. Back To Top    #5

ok, pool techie just left, spotted the likely leak in the skimmer return....I'll work on that this weekend with WaterWeld, unless there is a better product that is recommended....

Meanwhile, techie also turned my motor on for a second, heard the humming sound, turned it off and said "new motor!". Do I trust him, or do I still look to see if the empeller is clogged or a bearing is bad.

I can order a new motor for $212 online, free shipping, I'll get it mid-week if I order today.....

suggestions?

thx

6. Back To Top    #6

I would check it out first, he is likely right, but there is a chance it is something simple to fix.

Ike

p.s. I am often amazed at the things people give up on, I know a guy that owns a tow truck business and over the years he has picked up a number of abandoned cars that were simple to fix. Best example I can think of was 10 or so years ago, he towed an abandoned 2-3 year old Honda CRV, owner was behind on payments so left it where it stopped on the side of the interstate. The problem was it was low on transmission fluid due to a small leak in the transmission pan gasket. After filing for the title when no one claimed the car (finance companies never want broken vehicles back), he filled it with transmission fluid, it worked fine, he fixed the leak and his wife ended up driving it for years.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh, you don't know me....drive my wife crazy....

Jenn-Aire oven, 7 years old...controls go out...she's thinking new range...I find the circuit board @ repairclinic.com ($5 lifetime membership)....$100 later, oven works great

same w/Jenn-aire frig, ice maker starts leaking...repairclinic.com....$85!

last season I installed a new Hayward (sp?) wet end...

she asked me this afternoon if I had ordered a new pump....nope, got to check out a couple of things....she reached for her wine glass :>)

now quick question...I don't think I need a 1.5hp motor for a 4k gallon pool....techie agrees, but cautions me to check that the impeller is not sized for 1.5hp....how do I do that? some type of code on the impeller?

8. Back To Top    #8

Well gents, this seems like time for a new motor. Took the back off, lots of dust on the windings, even a few dried up leaves fell out, rust on the shaft, front of motor has lots of mineral deposits. I thought these things were supposed to be water proof! It was so rusted that the 4 long bolts each broke as I was removing them.

After removing from the wet end, it ran for about a minute, then I could actually see smoke coming off it, it got very hot, then shut down. I don't think I properly sealed the plastic cover over the capacitor and the impeller when I installed the new motor 2 years ago. Teflon next time?

Now, the impeller is a Haywood SP2610C. I would like to "downsize" the pump to 1HP. Do I need to get a different impeller, and where do you recommend buying a new motor? And what's the best pump motor to buy?

Thanks all!

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you have a model number for the wet end? Also, do you have the frame size for the old motor?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Hmm, don't see a model # on the wet end. The square flange that connects to the motor is a 1600SF, the basket inside the wet end (under the glass cover) is a model SP-1600-M. Could it be a 1600?

The motor is an Emerson catalog # EB129, model K63CXERK-4777, frame 56J, round flange. About 12" long, 6 1/2" diameter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like SuperPump, can you post a photo?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

13. Back To Top    #13

How about the wet end.

TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

14. Back To Top    #14

Attachment 30043

- - - Updated - - -

Trying...darn ipadimage.jpgimage.jpg

15. Back To Top    #15

Is there a foot under the motor side that isn't in the picture?

16. Back To Top    #16

No the motor before this one had a small pad under it but this one does not. It sits about 1/8" off the ground.

17. Back To Top    #17

Any chance the motor sits in water when it rains?

18. Back To Top    #18

Check out the schematic here:

http://www.aqua-man.com/schematic.asp?kc=S848

That Emerson should have lasted a lot longer than 2 years. I suspect the foot is missing which supports the end of the motor and keeps things off the ground.

19. Back To Top    #19

Very likely

- - - Updated - - -

That sounds like what happened. Can I make/buy a new foot? And which pump motor should I use?

Thx

20. Back To Top    #20

Motor problems

Pool supply world should be able to hook you up with a foot.

On the motor do you want to go 2 speed?

Edit

Make sure you get a foot that accommodates both motor sizes.

By default the super pump has a skinnier motor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast