New Polaris 280 running, but Backup valve seems "super-charged"

Jun 11, 2012
Hi. Successfully replaced my old Pentair booster pump with a new Polaris booster pump and also replaced an old Pentair Legend Platinum with a Polaris 280. My pool is relatively small (15x30 and 6'-2" deep at deep end) in a lima bean shape. I ended up removing a bunch of leader hose (to end up at 74") and also a bunch of the feeder hose (about 74" removed). I followed instructions to cut off 37" off each end of the feeder hose. The one thing I didn't do (probably should have by common sense) was remove any of the floats... just evened out the gaps.

The 280 is running really well... I didn't check the wheel RPMs yet, but it seems to move well at the bottom of the pool. The tail whips around well and doesn't spurt out of the pool. So all good there too.

The one thing that seems to not be working correctly is the backup valve... when it kicks on it seems to rocket the 280 across the pool. And some times its close enough to the water surface to emit a jet of water up and out.

So here are my questions...

1. Do I have too many floats? Should I remove one or two and then even out the remaining floats?
  2. Is there an adjustment for the backup valve?

first thing would be to adjust your RPM's to 28 - 30 (i find the best) then adjust the float that is near the Back up valve. the closer the float to the back up valve the "Higher" it will lift the cleaner, the further away, it will not "Lift" the cleaner but it will drag the cleaner along the floor of the pool. the floats should be about 3 feet apart starting at the wall fitting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.