Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: conflicting info on CH

1. Back To Top    #1

conflicting info on CH

My regular pool shop told me not to worry about ch level. every time my water test says my hardness is low they tell me to ignore it. they said that as long as my saturation index is in the acceptable range I'm fine (currently -0.8). Another shop however told me that the ch is important to prevent corrosion of the pool heater (they don't calculate csi).
    Which is correct?
    CH = 10 ppm but they said it should be 60-200.

I have an ig sw pool with vinyl liner and gas heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: conflicting info on CH

The pool heater doesn't care in the slightest how low CH is. If CH is too high there could be a problem. However, some heater warranties require CH, even though it doesn't help at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Generally we feel that low CH is not important on a vinyl liner pool, although it may effect warranty issues for both your liner and your heater.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Both are 15 years old so warranty is not an issue. Thanks!