Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with my chemicals PLEASE!

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with my chemicals PLEASE!

Need some expert advice please we have a swg on a 10' x 31" deep round vinyl intex metal frame pool with an intex swg with built in filter. I run it 2hrs a day. we got the swg so we wouldnt have to hassle with chemicals and we just cant get it dialed in. we have a film on the bottom that looks like dirt, no matter how much I vacuum, it comes back. its not too bad, just lightly along the bottom and wrinkles in the bottom, but I assume its algae. Do I need to lower my PH before shocking? I did the pool math chart and it said to shock, can I use household bleach?
    CH-275
    TA-180
    FC-2
    CC-1
    CYA-80
    PH-8.2

From what I am reading from all your advice to other people, I need to shock my pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with my chemicals PLEASE!

Welcome to TFP, neighbor!!!

What test kit are you using?
    You do need to follow the SLAM Process as your CC is high and you are seeing what is likely dead algae. This is usually done with the SWG off. The first step of that process is to lower the pH to the low 7s and then definitely use bleach for the SLAM process.

A SWG does not make the pool hands-off, you still need to test often and likely have to add muratic acid often to counter the rising pH due to your high TA and the aeration induced by the SWG itself.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just a follow up to what Jason said, you need to adjust the pH before you start the SLAM procedure as the pH test does not work when you have elevated FC levels.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the tf-100 FAS-DAS test kit pool math says add 4oz of muriatic acid, how long should I run the pump? Can I just run it my usual 2hrs or should it be longer. Like I said its only a 1400 gallon pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

Usually you run the pump 24/7 while in the SLAM process. Although with a pool that size, dump, clean, and refill is another valid option.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

ok, so I am confused. I am going to try to get ph lower, so is my first step adding the acid and then retesting before slamming?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes add your acid first and test to see if it's in the lower 7's. Then SLAM.
    It might be easier to dump it and clean it with a water bleach solution and start over. Your call. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

also, since I have the swg system that is all in one, should I be running that system 24/7 or do I use just the pump with out the chlorinator on?

- - - Updated - - -

I really dont want to dump the water, not the cheapest thing here in the southwest.

9. Back To Top    #9

Run the pump 24/7 while slamming, keep SWG off.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

I have the pump that came with the pool. Can I use that instead of the swg pump to save wear and tear?

11. Back To Top    #11

Sure you can use the other pump.

1400 gallons is at most about $20 (and that is only if you are in the highest tier of city water) ... you can look up the rates online.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

another question, if I do get my ph down to low 7's, regular household bleach is ok, it says to put only 12oz in my pool according to pool math. Should I leave the pool uncovered, or use my screen cover or solar cover for the process? Should I be airating while slamming? Sorry, this is confusing, but hopefully I will understand more when I get everything dialed in.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jason, maybe I should start all over, can I drain this water on the lawn or will the salt kill it?

13. Back To Top    #13

The water should be fine on the lawn ... you would not want to drain it often into the grass as the salt levels could build up. But monsoons should help dissipate it soon as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

so in your opinion that is the best thing to do? I think this all started because I didnt use acid for cya. Now we have been trying to catch up to this pool. Oh and monsoons cannot come soon enough.....so hot and dry!

15. Back To Top    #15

Dumping and starting over is best option IMO. Think about your time and effort, price of bleach, to SLAM the pool vs starting over. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

In your opinion the amount of chemicals and salt from the intex manual is correct?

17. Back To Top    #17

I have no idea what the manual says. Just use PoolMath to determine how much you need to reach the appropriate targets.

For example, you need just over 3/4 of a pound of stabilizer to get the CYA in range for a SWG pool.
    And likely just about one 40 pound bag of solar salt (assuming that SWG requires a bit over 3000ppm).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

leslies pools sold me instant pool conditioner will that work for cya, I still have over 1/2 a bottle left.

- - - Updated - - -

Leslies pools sold me instant pool conditioner will that work for cya, I still have over 1/2 a bottle left.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by mojopool View Post
    leslies pools sold me instant pool conditioner will that work for cya, I still have over 1/2 a bottle left.

- - - Updated - - -

Leslies pools sold me instant pool conditioner will that work for cya, I still have over 1/2 a bottle left.
    Yes, you can use the liquid CYA, it is just more expensive. Use PoolMath to calculate dose.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

20. Back To Top    #20

As others mentioned best option would be to just drain and fill it. I just emptied about 40% of mine to get my cya down in preparation for a swg. Just be careful and patient when adding the conditioner/stabalizer and give it time to dissolve cause you can always add more but can't take some out without draining
    13k IG pebble pool w/waterfall, 1hp whisperflow pump, pentair ccp320 cartridge filter
    Circupool SI45+ swg
    TF100 +speed stir Taylor 1766 salt test