Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: air leaks and suction side cleaners

1. Back To Top    #1
    Kissimmee, Florida

air leaks and suction side cleaners

Whenever I use my automatic cleaner or manual vacuum I have air in the pump and bubbles coming from the return lines. Is this a normal occurence? I don't feel any leaks at the skimmer connection I don't see bubbles coming from the hose. Please help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13,700 gal, outdoor IG Plaster, (deteriorating)Sta rite Posi Flo II ptm 70 Cartridge, Paramount PCC 2000 in floor pop up sweeper, RedLeopard Orbit automatic pool cleaner, FLOLight return eyeballs, 1 HP Pentair Superflo single speed pump, built in 1992
    370 Gal 2005 stand alone Marquis Destiny spa w/Ozonator, chlorinated

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: air leaks and suction side cleaners

This is fairly common with a manual vacuum, not so much with an automatic cleaner. It means there is an air leak somewhere, possibly triggered by the increased suction present when a cleaner is running.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: air leaks and suction side cleaners

It may be a vacuum you're seeing in the pump basket, not an air leak. Your pump may be pushing water out faster than the long vacuum hose can replenish. With the vacuum head on, my pressure drops about 6 psi, and sometimes I see that churning at the pump. Yet, when the air bleed is opened when I'm done, no air escapes! If there's no air in my filter, I can't have been sucking air.

If you have an air bleed on the top of your filter, can you get any air out after it's been doing that for a few minutes? If no, then you can't have an air leak, and you'll be chasing a ghost looking for it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!