Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need to replace pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Need to replace pump

Last fall my Pentair 1 hp pump froze up. I called a local pool man and $190 later I had it rebuilt. It seem to run fine. Then this morning it froze up again. I have a call in to the pool man who repaired it in the fall and he will be over in about an hour. I think I will need to replace it with a new pump. I have looked on Amazon and see I can get a replacement for about $330. It is a PentairAir also and I think it will match up with my existing fittings. It now is all solid PVC joints and I am thinking about replacing it with couplers? Any advice? Also, my pool vac operates much too slow and I am thinking about going up to a 1 1/2 hp to create better suction and therefore speeding up the Hayward Cleaner. Thoughts?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, any advice on single phase or two phase pump
    Last edited by weatherillgrp; 05-28-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    18K gal, IG vinyl, 1 hp single phase Pentair Pinnacle pump part 7-177474-01, Star-Rite Cristal Flow Filter model T-240BP-1, 266,000 BTU Raypac gas heater model PR266AENC, Coverstar electric safety cover, Hayward Navigator Pool Vac, Pentair model 300 Auto Chlorine Feeder( not using). TF-100 Test Kit. Built June 2007

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need to replace pump

Is there anything wrong with the pump wet end? If not, then you only need a new motor. And I would recommend upgrading to a 2-speed version to save yourself some $ on electricity.

Can you be more specific with the model of the pump/motor?

If you decide to go with a larger HP motor then you would also need a larger impeller to actually move more water ... I am not sure that is the problem though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the feedback. Turns out I jumped the gun. The pump was okay. The problem was the startup capacitor. Pool guy replaced in in five minutes and it was up and pumping. Asked how much I owed him and he told me nothing, he would catch me next time. Small towns for ya. No service call fee and a neighborly gesture. I tried to pay him but he would not have anything to do with it. Offered him a 7up and spent the next 30 minutes just talking.
    18K gal, IG vinyl, 1 hp single phase Pentair Pinnacle pump part 7-177474-01, Star-Rite Cristal Flow Filter model T-240BP-1, 266,000 BTU Raypac gas heater model PR266AENC, Coverstar electric safety cover, Hayward Navigator Pool Vac, Pentair model 300 Auto Chlorine Feeder( not using). TF-100 Test Kit. Built June 2007

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like a great pool guy to have!
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a suction side leak. I have tried the slow hose method and checked pump plugs, pump lid, ball valves and PVC joints leading up the pump. I watched to see if the bubbles in the strainer and saw no change. My next check might be the first joints below ground level. Prior to digging so anyone have any further suggestions about checking the above ground possibilities? I think it is getting worse. It starters last season late and I waited to this spring to address.