Opened Pool Today!! D.E. Filter Grid Eaten by Mice :(

Jul 25, 2012
Basking Ridge, NJ
Hi all,

Upon opening my pool for the season today, I discovered that a family of mice thought my FNS Plus filter would be a great place to spend the winter (removed remnants of their nest). They also thought it would be swell to chew the fabric of one of the DE Grid's. I'm currently running it without DE while I ponder my options. The filter is 4 years old. I would appreciate input as to whether I should replace the single damaged grid($), replace all of the grids($$) or replace the entire assembly($$$).

Looking forward to your comments,

Patrick

I am sorry to hear that Patrick. I had never given that any thought, but I left my plug out all winter and it would have been a great place for mice to go in. You gave me something to think about when I close next year.

Replace all the grids ... < $140 for a full set of Unicel on Ebay. That is what I am using.

That was my first instinct, but for an extra $50-60 I can get the whole assembly and not have to deal with removing and replacing each element individually, just take out the old assembly and replace it with the new, pre-assembled, one. I know...lazy, but after the $600 P&L quote I just got, $200 seems reasonable enough.

My pool builder told me to leave the drain cap screwed in somewhat, but loose, so any water can get out, and leave the multiport on "closed" to prevent mice.

Thanks for the tip, I'll put that on my closing check list. I was also thinking that if I figure out the threading of the pressure gauge on the top, I might be able to find some type of plug for it. Maybe just a rubber or cork bung? Hmmm.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do take apart the filter every year and every time it seems equally frustrating to line them up in the proper array pattern.

I don't know if this will help you or not but try assembling the filter grid assembly upside down. The first year I did it right side up and it was a MAJOR PITA and took like 30-45 minutes to get everything to line up and stay that way. The next year I assembled it upside down and it took like 5 minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.