Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened Pool Today!! D.E. Filter Grid Eaten by Mice :(

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened Pool Today!! D.E. Filter Grid Eaten by Mice :(

Hi all,

Upon opening my pool for the season today, I discovered that a family of mice thought my FNS Plus filter would be a great place to spend the winter (removed remnants of their nest). They also thought it would be swell to chew the fabric of one of the DE Grid's. I'm currently running it without DE while I ponder my options. The filter is 4 years old. I would appreciate input as to whether I should replace the single damaged grid($), replace all of the grids($$) or replace the entire assembly($$$).

Looking forward to your comments,

Patrick
    28,000 Gal Pool w/ Attached raised Spa, White Plaster Finish, D.E. Filter - FNSP 60 sq. ft., Whisperflo Pump, Nature 2 Element (Housing Only Now Devoid of Cart.), Hayward CL200 In-Line Automatic Pool Chemical Feeder, RayPak Gas-fired Heater, Polaris 380, Zodiac 1.5-HP 240-Volt Polaris QT Spa Blower

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened Pool Today!! D.E. Filter Grid Eaten by Mice :(

Replace all the grids ... < $140 for a full set of Unicel on Ebay. That is what I am using.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am sorry to hear that Patrick. I had never given that any thought, but I left my plug out all winter and it would have been a great place for mice to go in. You gave me something to think about when I close next year.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by iadams View Post
    I am sorry to hear that Patrick. I had never given that any thought, but I left my plug out all winter and it would have been a great place for mice to go in. You gave me something to think about when I close next year.
    As far as I can tell that must have been their entrance\exit point.
    28,000 Gal Pool w/ Attached raised Spa, White Plaster Finish, D.E. Filter - FNSP 60 sq. ft., Whisperflo Pump, Nature 2 Element (Housing Only Now Devoid of Cart.), Hayward CL200 In-Line Automatic Pool Chemical Feeder, RayPak Gas-fired Heater, Polaris 380, Zodiac 1.5-HP 240-Volt Polaris QT Spa Blower

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Replace all the grids ... < $140 for a full set of Unicel on Ebay. That is what I am using.
    That was my first instinct, but for an extra $50-60 I can get the whole assembly and not have to deal with removing and replacing each element individually, just take out the old assembly and replace it with the new, pre-assembled, one. I know...lazy, but after the $600 P&L quote I just got, $200 seems reasonable enough.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, you should be taking the grids completely apart every year or so for a good cleaning ... it is not that hard.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, you should be taking the grids completely apart every year or so for a good cleaning ... it is not that hard.
    I do take apart the filter every year and every time it seems equally frustrating to line them up in the proper array pattern.

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool builder told me to leave the drain cap screwed in somewhat, but loose, so any water can get out, and leave the multiport on "closed" to prevent mice.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by steveg_nh View Post
    My pool builder told me to leave the drain cap screwed in somewhat, but loose, so any water can get out, and leave the multiport on "closed" to prevent mice.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll put that on my closing check list. I was also thinking that if I figure out the threading of the pressure gauge on the top, I might be able to find some type of plug for it. Maybe just a rubber or cork bung? Hmmm.....

10. Back To Top    #10

That was left open on mine, the pressure gauge hole...don't know how a mouse would climb the side of the filter itself...but I guess it wouldn't hurt...
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by PMellin View Post
    I do take apart the filter every year and every time it seems equally frustrating to line them up in the proper array pattern.
    I don't know if this will help you or not but try assembling the filter grid assembly upside down. The first year I did it right side up and it was a MAJOR PITA and took like 30-45 minutes to get everything to line up and stay that way. The next year I assembled it upside down and it took like 5 minutes.
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster
    Pentair Kreepy Krawler Prowler Robot

12. Back To Top    #12

Personally I prefer to assemble it right side up as shown here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...aning-Tutorial

Although I have seen others suggest upside-down. I have never tried it, but just can not picture how all the grids would get in the correct little slots on the bottom plate.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Personally I prefer to assemble it right side up as shown here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...aning-Tutorial

Although I have seen others suggest upside-down. I have never tried it, but just can not picture how all the grids would get in the correct little slots on the bottom plate.
    I guess to each his own. Good write up though, quite thorough.
    30,000 Gallon Inground, Vinyl Liner
    DE Filter & Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair Legend Platinum w/ PB4 Booster
    Pentair Kreepy Krawler Prowler Robot