Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie-just ordered my TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie-just ordered my TF-100

Hello everyone. We put our pool in at the beginning of last summer. Bought one from watsons, it's a 30' round pool. I will post all of my equipment specs later. It has that Aqua smarte system on it which I now understand sucks! My daughters hair turned green and I fought my pool chemistry all summer! I turned it green a couple of times.

After reading suggestions here I am going to go with the BBB method. I just ordered my TF-100 kit and plan to get my magnetic mixer soon. These tests make me feel more at home since I have spent much of my career as a paint process engineer which means titrating our metal pretreatment tanks on a daily basis. I tried so many of the guess strips last year, the TF-100 seems way more up my alley.

Does it include everything I need to get started? or will I need beakers or pipettes?

I am looking very forward to trouble free year this year! I drained my water to the the skimmer jet last year and it was pretty much at half full when I pulled the cover off, so it has over half new water to start with.

Also, I live in a very wooded area and there are LOTS of different trees around my pool (but it gets great sunlight) so I am sure this will cause me more monitoring.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie-just ordered my TF-100

Welcome to TFP.

The TF-100 has everything you need. The testing is very straightforward. Although not necessary, the SpeedStir will make your results very consistent and it's just downright fun!

Just keep reading up in Pool School, especially chemistry and post your first set of results as soon as you get your kit.

Oh, and don't forget the Extended Test Kit Directions. They are an invaluable resource.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome and advice, I will post my results as soon as I get the test, shipped UPS so I am hoping that is a 1 day shipment to KY from NC, which it usually is.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's complete.

Once you get the speedstir, you'll want to do all your tests with it. I do. I even ordered more stirbars off ebay so I can run all the tests before I have to wash the dishes!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I bet! I have titrated many water tanks in my past and that speed stir would have made a huge difference! I plan on buying one in a week or two, we are building a deck around the pool so funds are limited!

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP.

One thing I would recommend is that you leave the Aqua Smarte system inline. I still have mine hooked up and although I use Liquid Chlorine 95% of the time, this is a great way to help keep your pool in check if you take any vacations in the summer.

Here's a thread last year concerning the Aqua Smarte
    Rick
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers