Vinyl Liner leaking less then 1 yr old

kneeco

Jul 11, 2008
Hello, I am new to this site and any help...advice is greatly appreciated. We had a new liner installed in our 16x32 inground at the end of last July. We live in PA. Within the last week I have noticed that the water level has been dropping approx. 1 1/4 inches per day. I was able to determine it was the liner by plugging up the return and putting the gizmo in the skimmer basket and the water level continued to decrease. I contacted the company that installed the liner and they stated "a 1 year old liner would not start leaking due to a manufacturing defect after 1 year, it would have happened as soon as the liner was installed....it is clearly something that you did". I have only done routine maintenance on my pool which was really limited to vacuming and skimming. I always keep the pool balanced. I don't know what to do. I used goggles and went around the seams and inlets, steps, basket and was not able to locate anything. Should a vinyl liner that is less then a year old have torn from vacuming? Isn't there a warranty on the liner. Should i contact the liner company and go over the head of the pool company? I contacted a leak detection company and they said they would come out and locate and repair up to 4 leaks for $225. I thought that was very reasonable. Yet I just paid approx 3,500 last july for a new liner and it is leaking after 1 year?? I feel like the pool company / liner company should be responsible for something. Thanks in advace for any help you can provide.

If this was a liner replacement I would think it would have a manufactures warranty of more than 1 year !? :shock: . Did you purchase it directly from the pool store or from the liner company and have the pool people do the install?
We did ours this year an AG 24' and our warranty is five years ...

If it were me I would be making a phone call to the liner manufacturer to see what type of warranty is on the liner then call the pool people back depending on the out come of the discussion.

Welcome to TFP!!

Also, welcome to BS PBs :evil: If nothing else they should come out and inspect the liner for you!!
For them to blow you off is unbelievable -- I wonder if they ever get any repeat business. Let's suppose they left a sharp rock under the liner, the company I work for would at least come out and determine what the problem is and then we'd see if it was something we did, you did, or some 'act of God' and work with you on making the repair.

I'm about off to bed (gotta work tomorrow :( ) I'm posting this in part so that I can find it again this weekend when I have a little more time to talk ( :rant: ).

I had this problem last year. Though my pool liner had been in for about 7 years. The pool company charged me a service call to go in and look for leaks, like $65.00. Unfortunately, they found a few tiny cuts in deep end from toenails!!! They were curved just like those big ol' toenails! Some smaller kids would cling on the side I guess and dig in. I ended up replacing my liner of course, $2300. Sorry I don't have any good advice but to maybe look for that.Good luck.

When it comes to pool stores and liners, they will definetly try to blow you off.

"Squeaky wheel gets the grease" you have to be persistant and don't take no for an answer. My SIL pool, brand new liner after the first season, too developed problems and the pool store didn't want to take care of it, tried to blame her, saying it was something she had done (it was improper installation on the installer's part).

So don't take the b.s. line they are feeding you. Make sure they come out and inspect before they try to place blame.

BTW, did you see this thread?

how-to-tell-you-have-a-leak-t7366.html?hilit=leak%20bucket

Good luck, don't let them take advantage of you! Yes, go to the top, the store manager, then the owner, regional manager (if a chain) whatever, contact the liner company, etc.

I would not accept that answer from the installer. I would call them daily and ask when they were going to come out and support their work. Even if it is something you did to cause the problem, the installer can't make that determination over the phone (last time I checked it was called Customer Service...).

A friend of mine began having problems with his pool a couple of months after his install. The PS owner argued that it was my friend's children who had probably torn a whole in it. They eventually came out to put another liner in. The friend was supervising the removal and found a screw in the bottom between the liner and pool crete. He took the screw to the PS owner and the PS owner acted suprised and said "how did you find that?" Almost like his guys were supposed to find it first and keep it.

I suppose the leak in your liner could be from many causes. Just go in with your eyes wide open. Good luck!

I just want to thank everyone for their advice and support. We contacted the manufacturer of the liner and they were very pleasant and helpful. The referred us to the same leak detection company that we previously contacted and they told us after the leak is found and if the company determines that the leak is due to installation or faulty seam etc. the liner company will cover the cost of the repairs. They also stated that they can't believe the installer will not stand by their work and atleast come down for an inspection. I guess I learned my lesson the hard way not to deal with this company again. After I have the leak detection company down I will post the results. If it is determined that it is due to faulty seam or installation problem I plan on going after the installer until I am satisfied. Thanks again for all of your help! i really appreciate it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.