New Liner and Water - CYA Question

May 16, 2013
Huntsville, AL
Hello All,

I have searched and found multiple threads for adding CYA. My new liner was finished up yesterday. Pool should be done filling tonight. I will test the water to be certain what amount of each chemical I will need before adding anything. Knowing this water is tap water, I am assuming there is no CYA in the water. If I go by what the Pool Calc says it says to add 22lbs of CYA. Here is where my question comes in. All the threads I have read a searched all say add CYA by sock in skimmer, or by sock in front of a return or mix in a bucket. However, these threads are usually talking about a pound or less of CYA. Makes sense. If I am adding 22lbs of CYA, what is the best method to dissolved that amount of CYA into the water as quickly as possible to get my pool up an usable?

You can fit about 6 to 8 lbs in a sock in the skimmer without too much trouble, a bit more if you work at it. I would do that, and then re-fill it the next day.

You don't want to add all 22 lbs at once. CYA is easy to add, but difficult to remove. You don't want to accidentally add too much.

Target a lower number CYA just in case the manufacturer inflated the size of your pool.

How'd you get 22 lbs? In a 33000 gallon pool, that would take you to 80!!!! :shock:
If the pool is smaller, you could overshoot in a hurry.

Why not aim for 50 initially? That's 14 lbs. If it won't all fit, use more than one sock. Hang the extras in front of a return or tie them to a floating pool toy or an empty bleach jug and let it bob around.

attachment.php

You guys are awesome and quick. Thank the both of you for being such a wonderful reference for the non-pool professionals like myself. I will not be trying to do all 22lbs at the same time. :)

Okay, I am going to get at least one skimmer sock. I have two skimmers, is getting two skimmer socks going overboard? Will it mess with my overall pump suction? Also, Richard, what type of sock is that you have in the picture? I could get two of those and put one in front of each of my returns.

Richard, yes that would bring my CYA to 80ppm, which is considered by this site and by Hayward to be the optimal level for SWG systems.

Dig through the rag bin or your sock drawer and find a tube sock with no holes. Alternately, some knee-high stockings or a pair of pantyhose will work, possibly better, since they're more porous. But old socks are free. :D

I know 70-80 CYA is recommmended for a SWG, but you have no idea how many people here have discovered their pool is significantly smaller than they think. Even if you measured it personally, you still lose some volume for the rounded corners and any steps that protrude into the pool. Adding more is easy. Removing excess involves draining some of your carefully balanced water.

So true on the over estimation thing. This is my first virgin water expedition in the the pool. I am going to start with before and after number, when I add half of each chemical. With those numbers I should be able to calculate how many gallons I have with a small amount of error. I have always been wary of the size calculators because of the very things you mentioned. I am certain I have less than what the estimator claims.

New Water and Liner and New Water Numbers

Hello All,

As the title suggests, I have a brand spanking new liner and virgin water. Water just got done filling at 10PM last night. I have not gotten to do my own water testing, but my wife just got back from Leslie's and here are the results of my tap water.

pH 7.8
calcium 60
alkalinity 40
FC 0
and whatever available chlorine is, is 0 as well. Do they mean CYA? It makes sense that it would have no CYA since it is tap water.

So, it looks like I need to shock this thing to get it started. I know pH or TA is usually first but pH is fine here. So would you guys/gals recommend CYA up as the first step?

Re: New Water and Liner and New Water Numbers

Shocking is not needed with fresh water, if it came from a municipal supply. Get some bleach in there quick and you may never need to "shock" ever. Target 3 FC since there's no CYA. Then add some CYA in a sock. Even though it will take a few days to dissolve completely, assume it's there and maintain the FC proper for your targeted CYA starting tomorrow.

Don't make a special trip for it, but get enough baking soda when you're at a store to raise TA to 70 or 80, somewhere close. Anything that works out nicely with an even number of packages is good enough.

As soon as it's warm enough, go swimming!

I merged your threads to keep your story together. This makes it easier for the frequent responders to keep people straight and provide help. jblizzle

I'm the guy that posted yesterday about getting the 22lbs of CYA in my pool as soon as I can. :) Richard thank you again. You are awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Richard, I have a question. If I am wanting to borates to the pool, which I am this time around just because I like the silkiness of salt pools with borates, should I hold off on the baking soda and just let the borax bring the TA and then, balance the TA where it needs to be? Or should I wait like the "so you wanna add borates to your pool" article says?

I merged your threads to keep your story together. This makes it easier for the frequent responders to keep people straight and provide help. jblizzle

I'm the guy that posted yesterday about getting the 22lbs of CYA in my pool as soon as I can. :) Richard thank you again. You are awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Richard, I have a question. If I am wanting to borates to the pool, which I am this time around just because I like the silkiness of salt pools with borates, should I hold off on the baking soda and just let the borax bring the TA and then, balance the TA where it needs to be? Or should I wait like the "so you wanna add borates to your pool" article says?
I don't know. I've never added Borates. My pool is crystal clear and sparkling already and nobody complains of dry skin, burning eyes, or smell.

I DO know that without your own test kit ("I have not gotten to do my own water testing, but my wife just got back from Leslie's and here are the results of my tap water.") you're biting off more than you can chew. You're assuming that pool store TA test is right. Why not get a test kit and learn to juggle the chemistry a while before adding more variables to the equation? Right now, you don't even know your pool volume to within a few hundred gallons. That comes by treatment and testing and observing that your results always come up too low or too high and adding or subtracting from the pool volume in poolmath. How will you dose it with Borax?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a TF-100 already, and a K-1766 Taylor Salt test kit and borates test strips coming in the mail.

The my own testing hasn't been done yet since it got done filling at 10PM last night and I've been at work today.

It makes sense to merge the two. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.