Newbie w/pool need help!

dannyz

May 27, 2014
Gainesville, GA
Hi, just bought and put together an Intex 18'x48" Ultra Frame Pool. Noticed there is NO skimmer or Skimmer/basket combo at all included with the pool. Will this be a problem? Do I need to have one? See pics below.... What should I do?

The pump is threaded as if something could be attached, is there something that I am missing?

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 127
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That is the normal configuration of the plumbing for the Intex pools ... although usually people install the pool horizontally and not vertically :lol:

There are a LOT of modifications that people do (like adding skimmers and hard plumbing) if you search the forum.

As jblizzle noted, the skimmers are modifications you do on your own. :goodjob:

There are thousands and thousands of intex pools out there just exactly like yours and they get used plenty without a through-the-wall skimmer.

You will need a leaf skimmer and maybe a leaf rake to grab the stuff a skimmer normally would.

98xc600-LeafSkimmer.jpg
Casey-LeafRake.jpg

Before you start reading all the threads to see how installing a through-wall is done... Any money you'd spend on a skimmer or hard-plumbing the pool would be better spent on the necessary tools, like the skimmer, a vacuum, and a test kit. A few leaves and flower petals floating around won't hurt anybody. Unsanitary water can.

living below the gnat line it's a must have modification for me. i have the hayward skimmer, but i've seen the intex over the wall skimmer in action and it works good too. the intex skimmer attaches to the intake in your picture, the hayward you cut the liner to install.

Hi ugafan,

Where can I find the intex skimmers that attach to the intake on my pool? I noticed the intake is threaded as if something could be attached, but when I go to the intex website, I do not see any accessory items such as skimmers available for purchase.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with Richard320. I have the exact same pool as you. I am a strange person that does not like cleaning my house, but I could spend all day cleaning the pool. I used to have a regular 24 foot above ground pool with a normal through-the-wall skimmer and after reading here figured I would be adding one to the intex ASAP, but you know? I kind of LIKE the way this functions without the skimmer. I am in the pool enough that it just takes a minute or two with the hand skimmer (no pole) to sweep the top of the water and get rid of all floaters. After that I make a small whirl pool by walking in a circle for a couple or three rounds and then sit on the stairs for a minute or so until the sinkers drift to the center of the bottom. a couple swishes with the skimmer gets that stuff out too.

Once a week (more or less) I put on the snorkle gear and work on my tan...er, I mean... obsessively vacuum the bottom just using the end of the hose. Currently I vacuum via siphoning over the side to a couple of trees that need the water but if I get a larger pump/filter I may even hook it up the way it is supposed to LOL.

I've got the Intex deluxe skimmer. It does a great job. One common complaint especially with the Easy Set pools is that the mounting is not the most secure. I made a simple PVC stand that I mounted mine to that solved that issue. I made a post on it last year with some pictures if you or anybody else is interested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.