Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie w/pool need help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie w/pool need help!

Hi, just bought and put together an Intex 18'x48" Ultra Frame Pool. Noticed there is NO skimmer or Skimmer/basket combo at all included with the pool. Will this be a problem? Do I need to have one? See pics below.... What should I do?

The pump is threaded as if something could be attached, is there something that I am missing?

Thanks for any help
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie w/pool need help!

Welcome to TFP!!!

That is the normal configuration of the plumbing for the Intex pools ... although usually people install the pool horizontally and not vertically

There are a LOT of modifications that people do (like adding skimmers and hard plumbing) if you search the forum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Lol, Sorry about the pics, I couldn't figure out how to rotate the pic

4. Back To Top    #4

As jblizzle noted, the skimmers are modifications you do on your own.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

There are thousands and thousands of intex pools out there just exactly like yours and they get used plenty without a through-the-wall skimmer.

You will need a leaf skimmer and maybe a leaf rake to grab the stuff a skimmer normally would.

Before you start reading all the threads to see how installing a through-wall is done... Any money you'd spend on a skimmer or hard-plumbing the pool would be better spent on the necessary tools, like the skimmer, a vacuum, and a test kit. A few leaves and flower petals floating around won't hurt anybody. Unsanitary water can.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

living below the gnat line it's a must have modification for me. i have the hayward skimmer, but i've seen the intex over the wall skimmer in action and it works good too. the intex skimmer attaches to the intake in your picture, the hayward you cut the liner to install.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi ugafan,

Where can I find the intex skimmers that attach to the intake on my pool? I noticed the intake is threaded as if something could be attached, but when I go to the intex website, I do not see any accessory items such as skimmers available for purchase.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
    Hi ugafan,

Where can I find the intex skimmers that attach to the intake on my pool? I noticed the intake is threaded as if something could be attached, but when I go to the intex website, I do not see any accessory items such as skimmers available for purchase.
    online you can find them at amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ntex%20skimmer

locally i think walmart or academy sports sometimes stocks them.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    although usually people install the pool horizontally and not vertically

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are...
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

10. Back To Top    #10

http://www.amazon.com/INTEX-Deluxe-S.../dp/B002BRAKAK

I use one similar to this that hangs over the wall, I had it from a previous pool.
    I would suggest saving some money and going ahead and getting one of the thru the wall skimmers.
    18x48 Intex Ultra Frame, 6,423gal, 1500gph Cartridge, SWG, Setup June 2013.

11. Back To Top    #11

I agree with Richard320. I have the exact same pool as you. I am a strange person that does not like cleaning my house, but I could spend all day cleaning the pool. I used to have a regular 24 foot above ground pool with a normal through-the-wall skimmer and after reading here figured I would be adding one to the intex ASAP, but you know? I kind of LIKE the way this functions without the skimmer. I am in the pool enough that it just takes a minute or two with the hand skimmer (no pole) to sweep the top of the water and get rid of all floaters. After that I make a small whirl pool by walking in a circle for a couple or three rounds and then sit on the stairs for a minute or so until the sinkers drift to the center of the bottom. a couple swishes with the skimmer gets that stuff out too.

Once a week (more or less) I put on the snorkle gear and work on my tan...er, I mean... obsessively vacuum the bottom just using the end of the hose. Currently I vacuum via siphoning over the side to a couple of trees that need the water but if I get a larger pump/filter I may even hook it up the way it is supposed to LOL.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

12. Back To Top    #12

If you want a Intex skimmer we just installed a Hayward through the wall skimmer and I could send you our old one. Otherwise I'll probably sell it on e-bay or something.
    Rebecca and Pat Loebach
    Peoria Illinois 61604
    tridoc927@yahoo.com
    http://www.renovatemyranch.blogspot.com
    http://www.embersgarden.blogspot.com
    http://www.drrebeccaknight.com
    Intex Ultra Frame 12x24 52" AG pool. 8,403 gallons
    Intex Krystal Clean Sand Filter Pump with 1,600 gallon per hour flow rate. Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater system.
    Dug 18 x 30 hole, 4' deep, put pool in hole and built retaining wall around it. Currently working on deck surround/topper.

13. Back To Top    #13

I've got the Intex deluxe skimmer. It does a great job. One common complaint especially with the Easy Set pools is that the mounting is not the most secure. I made a simple PVC stand that I mounted mine to that solved that issue. I made a post on it last year with some pictures if you or anybody else is interested.