Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New SWG owner unclear of what to do when

1. Back To Top    #1

New SWG owner unclear of what to do when

Okay I have a 22'x52" intex metal frame pool spend the last day an half filling the pool with hose and ALOT of rainfall once the water reached the intake add 260 lbs pool salt and started the filter going and added 2 boys to dissolve all salt then let pump run overnight went out to go ahead and get the SWG going the problem is the water is green color no green growing on the bottom just water color will be adding the appropriate amount of CYA this afternoon as my husband left it in his truck and is at work now I tested the water before turning on the SWG
    Hardness 0
    FC 0
    PH 6.8
    TA 40
    CYA 0
    Salt 2630 ppm

Question is after adding the CYA and having the SWG running should that alone help correct all my numbers or should I be going to the store for more chemicals is so how long should I run the SWG and if not what chemicals and in what order to use?
    Owner of a 22'x52" Intex metal frame pool with a Intex Krystal Clear model 633T filter pump and Intex Krystal Clear SWG Model CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New SWG owner unclear of what to do when

Welcome to the forum. You should "kick start" your FC by adding bleach. Your PH is low at 6.8. Bring to mid 7 range---do this first.. Your TA should be raised to around 70 with baking soda.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

Are you filling from a well? If the water is crystal clear but greenish, it could be iron in the water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

So first ph how long should i wait before testing again and adding the other chemicals? then add chlorine or baking soda first and again how long testing and between adding chemicals?

- - - Updated - - -

No not well water and yes clear besides the green color
    Owner of a 22'x52" Intex metal frame pool with a Intex Krystal Clear model 633T filter pump and Intex Krystal Clear SWG Model CS8110

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by momto3boys View Post
    So first ph how long should i wait before testing again and adding the other chemicals? then add chlorine or baking soda first and again how long testing and between adding chemicals?
    Wait thirty minutes between chemicals to allow them to mix. First pH, then recheck it. If it's good, add some baking soda and then add the bleach. This tells what and how: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-chemicals
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank y'all for all the help now where can I find out how much of each to use for a pool about 10400 gallons?

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank y'all for all the help now where can I find out how much of each to use for a pool about 10400 gallons?
    Poolmath. The link is on top of every page. Instructions on how to use it are here in Pool School.

8. Back To Top    #8

Duh on the pool math! Gonna do everything this afternoon, should I expect to see results by tomorrow?

9. Back To Top    #9

Duh on the pool math! Gonna do everything this afternoon, should I expect to see results by tomorrow?
    Not sure on the green. If it's algae, that usually takes a few days. You'll see pH and TA changes within an hour.

10. Back To Top    #10

Something you should be aware of...

When you add the CYA, DO NOT add it all at once! I did and the level was WAY higher that it was supposed to be. Add half and wait a few days, then adjust from there. I had to drain half the pool and refill twice to get it back down to where it had to be...
    21' Round Ovation Impact, 54" wall. Hayward AquaTrol SWCG, Hayward 1.5 HP pump, Hayward S180T sand filter, Aqualuminator with fountain attachment, Taylor K2006C test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Firefighter75 the guys above made a great suggestion about putting the "recommended" amount in a sock tie to the side of the pool then I just kept checking the CYA levels every day till it was wear it was suppose to be then I took the sock out and yeah there was still some in there good trick to know for ya next time or pass it along

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I haven't been back on to let you know but it was Crystal clear the next day awesome job you guys thanks for all the help! Been almost a week now and haven't had to add anything else or mess with anymore besides cleaning sticks and bugs!