Does calcium hardness stop climbing?

Feb 18, 2013
Hello!

I live in a hard water area with high heat, so draining in the summer isn't a good option. I'm managing the potential scaling by keeping my pH at 7.5 or below. However, my TF test kit shows that my CH level has remained at approx. 1200 for the last three months. Is this possible? Does calcium hardness plateau?

Thanks for the assist!

CH 1200
TA 110
pH 7.5
TC 11
CC 0
FC 11
CYA 120

No, CH keeps climbing with evaporation. Calcium and water arrive together. Water evaporates, Calcium does not.

However, if you've been backwashing a lot, it could seem flat. With your cartridge filter, that seems unlikely. More likely is that the CH is coming out of suspension and sticking to the walls. Do you see any light greyish/tan blotches anywhere? They'd be more noticeable when the pool is shaded or the sky is overcast and disappear when it's bright. That's scale.

With CYA 120, your minimum FC should stay above 9 at all times. If algae gets a start, it will be almost impossible to kill it with CYA that high. It's a tough pill to swallow, especially this year, but have you considered replacing some water? That would lower both CYA and CH.

Geez Richard, with you being the hard water king I was hoping for some better news :eek:

I won't have a chance to drain for a few more weeks....it's already 105 and I'm always nervous about cracking the plaster in this heat.

No, CH keeps climbing with evaporation..... More likely is that the CH is coming out of suspension and sticking to the walls. Do you see any light greyish/tan blotches anywhere? They'd be more noticeable when the pool is shaded or the sky is overcast and disappear when it's bright. That's scale.

Yep, that's exactly what has happened. Since acid washing last year, I have kept my pH below 7.5 at all times. Thought I was safe, but....
Perhaps it's a function of super-saturation? If so, the magic number for my pool is 1200.....another tough lesson learned :puker:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.