Rainstorm now water is cloudy

CCisotope

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2013
Cypress, TX
We've had some bad rainstorms in the Houston area and will continue to get rain the rest of the week. Our fairly new pool was a bit cloudy this morning. The first two days of the storm it was crystal clear, but with last nights rain storm some of our deck drains got covered with grass clippings and leaves and it looks like the excess water went into the pool along with organic debris.

I was so happy that I was finally getting the pool water balanced and the pool was crystal clear and then the rains came.

May 26 results before the rain storm:
ph 7.8
FC 4.5
CC:0
Cya 35
TA 100
CH: 275

We got over 5 inches of rain and the pool does have an overflow drain and was able to keep up with the excess water.

This mornings results:
Ph 7.8
FC 2.5
CC 0
TA 90
CH 220
CYA 40

The pool DOES NOT have a green tint to it. It's just cloudy and I can see the bottom... I turned the pump on full speed to clean it up an did add bleach.

Is the cloudiness just from the debris or is there actual algae growing? my cc levels have always been zero since the fill. I did add 4 1/2 gallons of bleach to bring the FC levels close to shock levels according to the pool calc.....was it even necessary to bring the FC level close to the shock recommendation? or did i just waste a bunch of bleach? I wasn't sure if I should of added that much bleach but wanted to be a little cautious and kill anything that would start to grow.

We are suppose to get 2 -3 more days of rain in the area too.

It's really disappointing to see the cloudy water after it was so crystal clear...

FC of 2.5 is a bit below minimum for 40 CYA so adding chlorine is definitely a good thing. I don't have the experience to say whether taking it up to shock level was necessary, but I can confidently say that for better or worse I would have done the same thing ;)

That said, I'm starting to get the impression that one-time shocks can be a bit like stopping a course of antibiotics before you use them all, so first thought would be to keep an eye on FC usage and CC levels to see if you need to SLAM.

It could just be junk that got washed into the pool.

I would do an OCLT (Overnight CL Loss Test) test tonight to confirm or deny the presence of organics that are being consumed by CL. If you fail - its time for a SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.