Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rainstorm now water is cloudy

1. Back To Top    #1

Rainstorm now water is cloudy

We've had some bad rainstorms in the Houston area and will continue to get rain the rest of the week. Our fairly new pool was a bit cloudy this morning. The first two days of the storm it was crystal clear, but with last nights rain storm some of our deck drains got covered with grass clippings and leaves and it looks like the excess water went into the pool along with organic debris.

I was so happy that I was finally getting the pool water balanced and the pool was crystal clear and then the rains came.

May 26 results before the rain storm:
    ph 7.8
    FC 4.5
    CC:0
    Cya 35
    TA 100
    CH: 275

We got over 5 inches of rain and the pool does have an overflow drain and was able to keep up with the excess water.

This mornings results:
    Ph 7.8
    FC 2.5
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CH 220
    CYA 40

The pool DOES NOT have a green tint to it. It's just cloudy and I can see the bottom... I turned the pump on full speed to clean it up an did add bleach.

Is the cloudiness just from the debris or is there actual algae growing? my cc levels have always been zero since the fill. I did add 4 1/2 gallons of bleach to bring the FC levels close to shock levels according to the pool calc.....was it even necessary to bring the FC level close to the shock recommendation? or did i just waste a bunch of bleach? I wasn't sure if I should of added that much bleach but wanted to be a little cautious and kill anything that would start to grow.

We are suppose to get 2 -3 more days of rain in the area too.

It's really disappointing to see the cloudy water after it was so crystal clear...
    IG Gunite 30k gallons, custom WetEdge finish with glass beads, spa, Pentair 520sq. ft. Cartridge Filter, Pentair 3HP intelliflow V.S pump, Pentair 400K BTU Heater Master Temp, Pentair 2HP Whisperflo- Model WF-28, Silencer Air Blower 1.5 HP, Pentair Boost Rite Universal Booster Pump, Rainbow 320, Easy Touch 8, My pool build:http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ypress-TX-Pics

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rainstorm now water is cloudy

FC of 2.5 is a bit below minimum for 40 CYA so adding chlorine is definitely a good thing. I don't have the experience to say whether taking it up to shock level was necessary, but I can confidently say that for better or worse I would have done the same thing

That said, I'm starting to get the impression that one-time shocks can be a bit like stopping a course of antibiotics before you use them all, so first thought would be to keep an eye on FC usage and CC levels to see if you need to SLAM.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

It could just be junk that got washed into the pool.

I would do an OCLT (Overnight CL Loss Test) test tonight to confirm or deny the presence of organics that are being consumed by CL. If you fail - its time for a SLAM.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks karmabiker, the OCLT was going to be my next step but needed some reassurance. Still in the learning phase but learning quick.
    IG Gunite 30k gallons, custom WetEdge finish with glass beads, spa, Pentair 520sq. ft. Cartridge Filter, Pentair 3HP intelliflow V.S pump, Pentair 400K BTU Heater Master Temp, Pentair 2HP Whisperflo- Model WF-28, Silencer Air Blower 1.5 HP, Pentair Boost Rite Universal Booster Pump, Rainbow 320, Easy Touch 8, My pool build:http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ypress-TX-Pics

5. Back To Top    #5

You're so lucky. You had as much rain overnight as I've had in the last year!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!