Opened pool last night

Aug 3, 2012
So we opened our pool up last night and the water is clear.. I have a few leaves to vacumm out and littlle dirt but amazing. FIRST TIME EVER.. We filled it almost to where it needed but shut off and put the last bit in this am. Filter is running now for about 2.5 hours. went and got a water sample and here is my numbers
fc 3.5
cc .5
ph 7.4-7.6
alk 100
cya ?? none or very little.
On the cya I wonder if i need to wait til water has circulated a bit more to tell or not? I had like 40-50 last summer.
So I guess I feel stupid because I dont know how much chlorine to put in right now. Am I suppose to shock this baby? and being I dont really no if i have CYA I am un sure how much to use. And could it be possible I have 3.5 fc after all winter ? LOL

So if you could please advise..

If the pool was closed properly and covered, yes, you can have FC left. If there's no algae to eat it and no sunlight to break it down, why not?

If you really have no CYA, shock level is 10. It probably wouldn't hurt things to take it up once. That will take a jug and a little more of Clorox 8.25% according to poolmath.

Did the CYA sample get cloudy at all when you mixed the reagent? If so, you have 20 CYA or less, but some, which is good, because it means you don't have Ammonia from CYA decomposing over the winter. There's been a lot of that this year.

Recheck the FC & CC an hour or so after you added bleach, pump on. If CC is .5 or less, you don't have ammonia and can go ahead and raise CYA. Work up slowly. Maybe add 20 ppm now and recheck it in a week and add more if you need to. To add 20 CYA, poolmath says add 2 1/4 lbs of CYA (stabilizer) granules. Measure it out into a sock, tie it shut and set it in the skimmer or dangle it in front of a return until it's all dissolved.

Thanks for responding so quickly- I added 128 ounces at about 1245pm and at 330pm i vaccummed and rechecked water
fc 6.5
cc 0
ph 7.5
alk 100
CYA..?
the black dot still shows when its full so i emptied it and filled with regular water to see difference and the cya water is slighty cloudy. It didnt look cloudy in the bottle i mixed it in though. maybe just a touch left in there. I am gonna dose it up with some bleach to 10 fc . i think ill add a touch cya. do i figure I am at 10?? and go to 30?

so at 4 pm i added 72 ounces more bleach which should of brought me to 10 I jut went down and checked and i am at 8. NO cc though. Its not that hot nor very sunny . sun is in and out. little windy. so y would i eat up that much in 2 hours? its clear as a bell. diamond shimmering.. Maybe I should dose it higher through the night.

- - - Updated - - -

To clarify - he means add the CYA to 20, and recheck it after it's had a week to dissolve and mix. You still need to check and maintain pH and chlorine daily!

so assume there is none and put zero in now box and 20 in target I am assuming?

so at 4 pm i added 72 ounces more bleach which should of brought me to 10 I jut went down and checked and i am at 8. NO cc though. Its not that hot nor very sunny . sun is in and out. little windy. so y would i eat up that much in 2 hours? its clear as a bell. diamond shimmering.. Maybe I should dose it higher through the night.
It's not the sun, per se, but UV light that destroys chlorine. If you can get sunburned on a cloudy day, so can your pool. CYA acts as a sunscreen for the FC, and you have hardly any right now.

It won't hurt to keep the FC up overnight. A buck or two of chlorine is cheap insurance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.