Going to Use Solar Salt instead of Pool Salt

May 25, 2014
Summerdale, AL
The pool is up and I am in the process (very slow process) of filling it up. I bought solar salt to use instead of pool salt since it was like $2.50 a bag cheaper but it is much coarser and in rock form. That won't harm the vinyl liner will it? Should I do anything differently when I put it in the pool? And when should I start adding the salt? There is only about 10" of water in the pool now.

I have a 22'x52" above ground pool. I decided to go with the SWG system and I'm going to order a sand filter/pump today. I am also looking at test kits trying to figure out which one I need to buy. I'm feeling a little intimidated when I read all about the pool chemistry. This is my first pool so I really don't know anything other than what I have read here and in Pool School.

Solar salt, usually sold for use with water softeners, is just fine for pool use. You just pour it into the pool and run the pump for 24 hours to mix it in. I would wait to add until you have the pump running.

I recommend the TF100 test kit from TFTestKits.net. It is a little complex right at the start, but get much easier once you spend a little time with it.

I have well water and at the rate the pool is filling up, I might be able to turn on the pump in 3 or 4 days..... maybe. Can't run the water full blast because it will cause my pump to get too hot and it will shut off. I can't risk burning it up. Sure wish there was somebody I knew who could come and fill it up for me. I don't think the fire department here will do it though.

I will check out the site for the test kits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.