Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going to Use Solar Salt instead of Pool Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

Going to Use Solar Salt instead of Pool Salt

The pool is up and I am in the process (very slow process) of filling it up. I bought solar salt to use instead of pool salt since it was like $2.50 a bag cheaper but it is much coarser and in rock form. That won't harm the vinyl liner will it? Should I do anything differently when I put it in the pool? And when should I start adding the salt? There is only about 10" of water in the pool now.

I have a 22'x52" above ground pool. I decided to go with the SWG system and I'm going to order a sand filter/pump today. I am also looking at test kits trying to figure out which one I need to buy. I'm feeling a little intimidated when I read all about the pool chemistry. This is my first pool so I really don't know anything other than what I have read here and in Pool School.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going to Use Solar Salt instead of Pool Salt

That salt is fine.

Add it right -- hold Diamond Day! Check post 5
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Solar salt, usually sold for use with water softeners, is just fine for pool use. You just pour it into the pool and run the pump for 24 hours to mix it in. I would wait to add until you have the pump running.

I recommend the TF100 test kit from TFTestKits.net. It is a little complex right at the start, but get much easier once you spend a little time with it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I have well water and at the rate the pool is filling up, I might be able to turn on the pump in 3 or 4 days..... maybe. Can't run the water full blast because it will cause my pump to get too hot and it will shut off. I can't risk burning it up. Sure wish there was somebody I knew who could come and fill it up for me. I don't think the fire department here will do it though.

I will check out the site for the test kits.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is there a local dirt track nearby? They usually have a water truck. A few bucks slipped to the right guy could fill your pool in a hurry.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Or maybe a volunteer fire department might be able to help you out for a donation.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

It is amazing what a volunteer fire department will do when a case of barley pop (beer) suddenly appears in the truck.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.