What causes high CYA levels?

G$

Jul 7, 2008
So, what potentially "causes" high CYA levels if you are using liquid bleach?

Here are the details:

IG Pebbletec Pool, roughly 8500 gallons. pH was high, but I have brought that down to 7.6. TA was high to, although I have not rechecked it in a few days. Water clarity is, and always has been beautiful. (even when algae starts to bloom in a few spots due to my carelessness).

For the last year or so, I have used 99% liquid bleach for chlorination. The exception is the commercial granulated stabilized "shock" product that I have used, literally, 2- 3 times in that year (one pound bags).

I measured my CYA at 70. I may need to get the hang of the test better, but that is close. Since I doubt the very very minor amounts of shock I have used are the culprit, what else causes 'high' CYA, and more importantly, is 70 really that high?

Only the use of stabilized chlorine or the direct addition of stabilizer. However, if there was CYA in the water before the last year or so, much of it may still be there.

Another possibility is that any cloudiness in the water, even below the level you may notice, can cause the CYA turbidity test to read high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.