Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Two speed pump with timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Two speed pump with timer

I already have this timer Intermatic-PF1112T, will this support a two speed pump like Pentair SuperFlo . How I will configure my two speed pump to go to low speed (1725 RPM) after say 10 minutes of initial start?
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    1.5 HP Hayward MaxFlo VS - June 2014
    DE Filter Model # DE6020
    Added Borates on Jun 2014

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Two speed pump with timer

Most people leave the pump on low speed by default, and then have a manual switch to turn it up to high speed when they need that. There are some advantages to starting on high speed with a DE filter. That can't be done with a single timer. You would need to get a secondary timer to control the speed selection.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason, I am not sure about cost and complexity involved in adding a secondary timer, it seems I need to invest in a VS pump like this Hayward MaxFlo, based on mas985 excel sheet MaxFlo is my next efficient in line.
    13K gal, IG, Gunite pool with raised spa water spill over to pool, built on 2005
    DE Filter Model # DE6020

4. Back To Top    #4

The MaxFlo VS has builtin support for starting at one speed and then changing to another speed after an hour for the remaining run time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Jason
    DE Filter Model # DE6020

6. Back To Top    #6

Missourian,

Are you skilled with making electronic gadgets, or maybe you know someone who is?

I can think of one way without a microcontroller that would allow you to start your pump on high, then after a set time would drop it to your lower speed.

Look around your area, I think there is a hackerspace/makerspace where creative people go to make things they want and need for personal use.

A quick google came up with this:

http://dallasmakerspace.org/

I bet if you were to contact them and give them an idea of what you want, they would help you create it.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

^^^

I have zero experience in making electronic gadgets, that place is only 10 minutes from my work, I am leaning heavily towards MaxFlo, in that way I can use the existing timer(on and off) and the pump has the timer to switch to low speed, yes MaxFlo is $200 more than 2 speed pump but I see that might be cleaner option. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    DE Filter Model # DE6020

8. Back To Top    #8

I think it's been overcomplicated. Essentially high and low speeds are just two different circuits (windings) of the pump (motor technically) so you just need the ability to turn on two different circuits. Here are some instructions on how to link timers http://www.poolplaza.com/2-speed-timer-wiring.shtml. http://www.inyopools.com/HowToPage/h...106_timer.aspx I've seen others out on the web as well. No need to overcomplicate things :P
    18 x 36 Vinyl Inground, Coverstar Cover, 2 speed Pentair Pump, Hayward 425 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump, Prologic PS8, T-15 Salt Cell, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, TF-100 Test Kit