Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirty water coming out main retuns on high speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirty water coming out main retuns on high speed

When I change pump speeds from low to high, dirty water comes out the 2 main return jets for a few seconds. The dirty water is light brown or sandy colored and dissipates quickly. This is after the pump has been running on low speed for a while. I have a newly installed Pentair Superflo 2pseed pump and a Hayward sand filter. The filter sand was replaced last year and has been backwashed within the last week. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ben
    22,500 gallon in-ground. 2 skimmers plus deep-end intake. Hayward sand filter. Polaris with booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Dirty water coming out main retuns on high speed

Quote Originally Posted by reel-2-reel View Post
    When I change pump speeds from low to high, dirty water comes out the 2 main return jets for a few seconds. The dirty water is light brown or sandy colored and dissipates quickly. This is after the pump has been running on low speed for a while. I have a newly installed Pentair Superflo 2pseed pump and a Hayward sand filter. The filter sand was replaced last year and has been backwashed within the last week. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ben
    Probably the nature of the beast. A cumbersome way to fix it might be to go to "rinse" on high and then switch to "filter" when you change to low speed.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Dirty water coming out main retuns on high speed

I like that idea duraleigh---especially since I just installed a 2 speed pump myself!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!