Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How accuate is Leslie' water test vs TF 100 kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

How accuate is Leslie' water test vs TF 100 kit?

Hi all,

I did a water test with the TF kit last Thursday and took my water to a Leslie's store for another test on Saturday. These are the readings:

TF 100
    FC: 4
    CC: 0
    CH: 350
    TA: 90
    pH: 7.5
    CYA: 45

Leslie
    FC: 2
    CC: 0
    CH: 200
    TA: 60
    pH: 7.4
    CYA: 90

The three things that don't match are: TA, CH, CYA.

Which test should I trust? This is a new pebble pool. I am using chlorine tabs right now and will transition to SWG once 30 days have passed.

Thanks,

Scott
    Lazy-L shaped pool and a spa. 22.5k gallons. Pentair VS pump. Pentair cartridge filter CCP520. STA-Rite SR400NA heater (400K BTU). Leuder limestone coping. Pebble sheen (blue granite) Wooden deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How accuate is Leslie' water test vs TF 100 kit?

Trust the TF-100. Especially on those that are differing from yours. Those are the tests that pool stores get wrong the most.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Pool store testing can't be relied upon. Period. Even if they are scrupulous in their methods and use the exact same kit, your pH and FC will change if the sample has been sloshing around in a hot car. They also do the CYA test under indoor lighting. Trust yourself. Check out this thread. Take a minute to study the historical results. They didn't format well, but you'll be able to figure it out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

To be fair to the pool store here- I wouldn't consider it a valid test comparison unless you test at home with your TF-100, and immediately head to the pool store with water in an opaque container. To wait two days allows for some variables to enter.
    But that said- I love my TF-100 and always trust my own results best!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

The water was collected fresh and taken to the store immediately. The store manager tested it right away. I am not concerned about the FC as it swings more frequently. However, those three readings are quite static. A Pebbletech technician tested my pool last Tuesday and told me that my TA was 70 and CH was 250...

Lazy-L shaped pool and a spa. 22.5k gallons. Pentair VS pump. Pentair cartridge filter CCP520. STA-Rite SR400NA heater (400K BTU). Leuder limestone coping. Pebble sheen (blue granite) Wooden deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

The drop based test is about as good as it gets.
    Stay with the TF 100 and leave the pool store to the lazy people with green and cloudy water
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Im not sure if yours does but all of the Leslies stores around here actually use drop count tests. Im guessing its the Taylor kit very much equivalent to the TF kit. They even have a magnetic stir plate.

While I believe my tests before theirs, their numbers are never far off from mine and in most cases are the same. Since they are in a rush you might get readings a bit off, but I try to count the drops as they put them in while Im watching. And my local Leslies is 1 mile from my house so the water samples arent much worse off than testing them in my backyard.

I honestly only go there for the salt test (they use a Myron L meter and a strip to double check), but since they do the whole she-bang for free and without any grief ("let me line up all of the chemicals you need to fix it"), I wait for the full test.
    22K IG vinyl, .5HP Northstar pump, S244T filter, AutoPilot Digital w/SC-48 cell