Numbers completely off

Howell

May 27, 2014
Clinton,IL
Brand new pool owner and feeling overwhelmed! (I'm sure that is the first time you've heard that!) Put up our 18x48 vinyl Intex AG SWG pool (5400 gallons)on May 24th. Read a lot of the articles on here and it has been very helpful, but want to see just how big of a mess we are in.... And maybe how we can fix it!!:D. Pool water is clear but yellowish in color. We have been running pump for 4-6 nightly with one night on boost.

FC-0
pH- 8.4
TA-240
CYA-30-50

To me, it seems like we need to add bleach, a stabilizer, something to get the TA level down.... And maybe thing to remove the metals making it yellow?? Or am I totally off base? Can this all be done at the same time?

Any and all help is appreciated!!

Welcome! :wave:

A yellowish tint could be iron in the water. Are you on a well?

Lowering the pH with muriatic acid may also help the tint if it is iron.

So.... add muriatic acid to get pH down to 7.2. Give it half an hour to mix, maybe help it along with the brush, and then dose it with bleach. Target 8. Hopefully that will keep you above minimum for the next 24 hours. Do you know how to use pool math to figure out the quantities? This link explains it.

That CYA reading smacks of test strips... 30-50 is a pretty big spread. Have you added any stabilizer or "shock" or chlorine pucks since you filled it?

Thank you for the quick replies!! :) Yes, we are on a well, but brought in city water for most of the filling. Yes, used the Pool Math to get the right amounts and we are adding the acid and then the bleach. I was using strips ( again... Newbie!), but plan on ordering something better. No, I haven't added any stabilizer, shock, or pucks. I am assuming that's the next step??

Thank you for the quick replies!! :) Yes, we are on a well, but brought in city water for most of the filling. Yes, used the Pool Math to get the right amounts and we are adding the acid and then the bleach. I was using strips ( again... Newbie!), but plan on ordering something better. No, I haven't added any stabilizer, shock, or pucks. I am assuming that's the next step??
If you haven't added any of those three products, then your CYA should read zero. CYA doesn't occur in nature.

Yes, you need to add some. When you add it, tie it up in a sock and set the sock in the skimmer, or dangle it in front a return if it's too big. Don't pour it in the skimmer or scatter it in the pool. And aim low. Your pool may not be as big as advertised You can always add more if you come up short, but if you overshoot, you'll need to drain, and that's a waste of time and water.

then your CYA should read zero.
Just one more example why we dislike strips. Overshoot on your CYA because of strip testing) and it will cost you more to drain/refill than the correct test kit would have cost....not to mention the trouble you will go to if you have to drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.