Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Numbers completely off

1. Back To Top    #1

Numbers completely off

Brand new pool owner and feeling overwhelmed! (I'm sure that is the first time you've heard that!) Put up our 18x48 vinyl Intex AG SWG pool (5400 gallons)on May 24th. Read a lot of the articles on here and it has been very helpful, but want to see just how big of a mess we are in.... And maybe how we can fix it!!. Pool water is clear but yellowish in color. We have been running pump for 4-6 nightly with one night on boost.

FC-0
    pH- 8.4
    TA-240
    CYA-30-50

To me, it seems like we need to add bleach, a stabilizer, something to get the TA level down.... And maybe thing to remove the metals making it yellow?? Or am I totally off base? Can this all be done at the same time?

Any and all help is appreciated!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Numbers completely off

Welcome to TFP!

Start by lowering your PH to 7.2. Then add some chlorine and see if you can keep an FC level overnight.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

A yellowish tint could be iron in the water. Are you on a well?

Lowering the pH with muriatic acid may also help the tint if it is iron.

So.... add muriatic acid to get pH down to 7.2. Give it half an hour to mix, maybe help it along with the brush, and then dose it with bleach. Target 8. Hopefully that will keep you above minimum for the next 24 hours. Do you know how to use pool math to figure out the quantities? This link explains it.

That CYA reading smacks of test strips... 30-50 is a pretty big spread. Have you added any stabilizer or "shock" or chlorine pucks since you filled it?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the quick replies!! Yes, we are on a well, but brought in city water for most of the filling. Yes, used the Pool Math to get the right amounts and we are adding the acid and then the bleach. I was using strips ( again... Newbie!), but plan on ordering something better. No, I haven't added any stabilizer, shock, or pucks. I am assuming that's the next step??

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Howell View Post
    Thank you for the quick replies!! Yes, we are on a well, but brought in city water for most of the filling. Yes, used the Pool Math to get the right amounts and we are adding the acid and then the bleach. I was using strips ( again... Newbie!), but plan on ordering something better. No, I haven't added any stabilizer, shock, or pucks. I am assuming that's the next step??
    If you haven't added any of those three products, then your CYA should read zero. CYA doesn't occur in nature.

Yes, you need to add some. When you add it, tie it up in a sock and set the sock in the skimmer, or dangle it in front a return if it's too big. Don't pour it in the skimmer or scatter it in the pool. And aim low. Your pool may not be as big as advertised You can always add more if you come up short, but if you overshoot, you'll need to drain, and that's a waste of time and water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

then your CYA should read zero.
    Just one more example why we dislike strips. Overshoot on your CYA because of strip testing) and it will cost you more to drain/refill than the correct test kit would have cost....not to mention the trouble you will go to if you have to drain.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by Howell
    I was using strips ( again... Newbie!), but plan on ordering something better.
    Your search for a better test kit starts and ends here: http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.