Borax after no drain acid wash

pfknp

May 23, 2014
United States
Halfway through acid wash on 17K gal pebbletec swg pool. Prepping for the renaissance. At moment looks like 0 TA and ph well below 5, chlorine somehow disappeared. Anyway, since borate seem to be advocated here so much, would like to add that to my balancing. Iam seeing on some threads that baking soda can be added to begin rebalance process. Am thinking I will use borax first and that would offer much bring up the ph and ta as well as add borate. Then I can fine tune ph . Does anyone have any thoughts on this? According to pool calculator if I add 640 oz of mule team I will take ph and Ta to almost near target and borate s to 34 . Is this a good idea or if not, why? Thanks for any input given. I am only a couple years into pool ownership. Still learning!

Raising the PH most of the way with borax and then testing again to see where you are and adjusting both PH and TA from there as needed is just fine in this situation. Just keep in mind that PoolMath/Pool Calculator can be off on large PH changes, so don't calculate an amount and go all at once, add borax in steps, testing half an hour after each step to see where you are.

So....Rebalanced early this am. 9x4.75 lb boxes of borax....slowly....two boxes at a time, and allot of stirring afterwards followed by 45 min...then another two boxes...and so on. All seemed ok but ph was still too low....so one box of soda ash and voila, balanced. Pump was on all day since 6 am at high speed. I came home couple hours ago...pool looked greener than when I started! Where's the blue? Then I started brushing and there was allot allot of powder at the bottom. What is that? So...put the great white shark vacuum in there and it has been picking up most,I brushed a couple times...now turned off vacuum letting water circulate more. No extra pressure at my pump. Thought there would be. And I am thinking I am seeing more white splotches...in different places than before. Hoping that's just residual dust. Water a little cloudy.....hoping I will wake up to a sparkling blue pool. Did anyone else have this powder at the bottom? Is that normal at no drain acid wash? Btw, my chemistry is)
Fc 3
Ph 7.5
TA 80
Don't have test kit for cya and borates...that's been ordered...I used pool calculator to determine how much borax to add

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.