MaxFlo VS, SuperFlo VS, TriStar VS or V-Green 165? Which is best for this config?

DS

Mar 23, 2013
Hello,

My 3/4 HP Hayward Northstar circulation pump motor is dead. I've decided on VS to replace instead of dual speed since my marginal electric rate is $.32+ kWh most months. I've spent a good deal of time using mas985 spreadsheets to evaluate pumps and narrowed to three above in addition to the V-Green VS replacement motor. First question: Does the V-Green retrofit to a Northstar wet housing? If so, is it possible to compare efficiency of the resulting configuration to the other pumps? Could this configuration be categorically dismissed because the Northstar is an old design in comparsion to the new pump/motors designed work together? Next question: Considering my application below, do any of the mentioned pumps rise above the others? Here are the stats:

- 19,000 gal IG plaster w/connected spa overflowing to pool
- separate jet pump for spa
- separate pump for roof mounted solar
- Hayward Navigator suction side pool cleaner
- all 2" plumbing at equipment pad
- 325 sf cartridge filter
- 35' equip pad to pool, 45' equip pad to spa
- 220V wiring
- Jandy RS4 controller

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The MaxFlo and SuperFlo are considerably different pumps than the TriStar. But I would not even consider the TriStar because the EcoStar is more efficient and last I checked were the same price. But the MaxFlo and SuperFlo are going to be your more efficient options if you can deal with some of the limitations of pump control. Those two require an external timer to turn on and off but do have internal timers for speed changes. They also will not automatically increase speed when solar is engaged like the other will.

The EcoStar or Intelliflo would be better if you don't have a timer already although they are bigger than most pools need unless you want to run water features or a spa off the same pump.

The decision should be more about the features than energy efficiency since all are energy efficient.

Thanks. Can I use my Jandy RS4 to turn on/off the SuperFlo and MaxFlo, then program a series of different RPM sequences at the pump? If so, that doesn't seem too limiting for my purpose. Maybe I'm not considering the other things a VS can do. I've only had a SS for the last 10 years. Is the V-Green 165 even worth considering? I found it online for $450 which is about $200 less than the other two.

Yes, the biggest limitation is the lack of an on/off timer.

As for the V-Green, I don't have any experience so I can't really comment other than any multiple speed pump, including a two speed will save on energy costs.

Ok. Thanks Mark. Also, the comparison spreadsheet (which is a great tool BTW) results show the SuperFlo efficiency is better than the MaxFlo using my config. However, I viewed a few of your threads here that stated the opposite. Do you still think the MaxFlo is more efficient than the SuperFlo? Would one or the other be better for a suction side cleaner, spa spillway or longish distance pipe runs?

When I compare two pumps for efficiency, I usually use the higher RPM levels for a couple of reasons. First, the higher RPMs are where pumps will use the most energy and where the efficiency is most important. Second, as the RPM drops, the measurement error increases because the same equipment was used (at least in the Pentair case) at the higher RPM levels than at the low RPM levels.

But it sounds like you are not accounting for any run time at high speed. Because even an hour a day should push the MaxFlo to a better lifetime cost.

Also, I just wanted to add that I don't think it will matter much which pump you go with. Both will save you a lot in energy costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.