Dual Speed sta-rite always running on high

May 27, 2014
Longueuil, Quebec
Hi,

first, thank you for this forum, so much information in it.

My question:
I have a Sta-Rite (pentair/aoc/dynarite, so many names, dont know which one is the good one) MRPA model. It's 1.5hp-1/4 hp, running on 230v.

I installed a switch similar to this:
2011-05-27_233248_pool_motor.JPG

The back of the pump looks like that:
Vue_interieur_moteur.jpg

My problem is that the pump run only at high speed. Before installing the switch, I was going from high to low by moving connector from L1 to A.

Electrician installed a high-off-low switch, but first time I used low, the switch sparked.
I then tried the low speed by bypassing the switch, and it still worked.
So I done the setup as in the first image, but now I can get the low speed to work.
Check voltage on 3 wires, 120 on each, and tried *common* with the 2 others and got 240, so switchs seems fine.

I have a small interogation, as the "stamped" diagram on the motor dont put the l2-a-l1 connectors at the same places as on the plastic plate in the motor.

Any idea?

Thank you

Do you have a multimeter where you can confirm that the switch is still switching since it sparked? It is possible that the electrician installed a standard duty not a heavy duty 3 way switch and the sparking internally shorted it into one position regardless of the switch position

More info. This is the top of the pump (what I found confusing)

dessus_pump.jpg

As you can see, the connections on this image are not at the same places as they are on the plastic piece inside the back of the pump.

Also, it is supposed to have a permanent link between the hi and the com connectors? (not sure what is the direct line between them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.