Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dual Speed sta-rite always running on high

1. Back To Top    #1

Dual Speed sta-rite always running on high

Hi,

first, thank you for this forum, so much information in it.

My question:
    I have a Sta-Rite (pentair/aoc/dynarite, so many names, dont know which one is the good one) MRPA model. It's 1.5hp-1/4 hp, running on 230v.

I installed a switch similar to this:
    2011-05-27_233248_pool_motor.JPG

The back of the pump looks like that:
    Vue_interieur_moteur.jpg

My problem is that the pump run only at high speed. Before installing the switch, I was going from high to low by moving connector from L1 to A.

Electrician installed a high-off-low switch, but first time I used low, the switch sparked.
    I then tried the low speed by bypassing the switch, and it still worked.
    So I done the setup as in the first image, but now I can get the low speed to work.
    Check voltage on 3 wires, 120 on each, and tried *common* with the 2 others and got 240, so switchs seems fine.

I have a small interogation, as the "stamped" diagram on the motor dont put the l2-a-l1 connectors at the same places as on the plastic plate in the motor.

Any idea?

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dual Speed sta-rite always running on high

Do you have a multimeter where you can confirm that the switch is still switching since it sparked? It is possible that the electrician installed a standard duty not a heavy duty 3 way switch and the sparking internally shorted it into one position regardless of the switch position
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

I removed the switch that the electrician installed, and installed something similar as my first image (by myself). I validated that the switching work with a multimeter, directly on the connectors that plug into the pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

More info. This is the top of the pump (what I found confusing)

dessus_pump.jpg

As you can see, the connections on this image are not at the same places as they are on the plastic piece inside the back of the pump.

Also, it is supposed to have a permanent link between the hi and the com connectors? (not sure what is the direct line between them.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have nothing to add regarding your problem except to check and re-check the wiring, but I think the line between the hi and com connectors is just the outline of the plastic board.
    ============================================================ ===========================================
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, disabled SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Im pretty sure my wiring is correct, as before I had a switch, I was manually switching connectors from low to high, and that worked. This no longer work, pump always on high speed, even if I bypass my switch and connect directly.

7. Back To Top    #7

I am fairly sure you have the red switch wired incorrectly. I believe the input is on the top left and the two outputs are on the right hand side.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

My switch setup is fine i'm pretty sure, tested with multimeter. What's bug me is that even if I bypass the switch (2 wires + ground straight from my electrical panel, to the pump), on the low connection, the pump still run on high speed

9. Back To Top    #9

For archiving purpose: Sent the pump to a repair shop today. Technician told my wife it was the "starting switch" in the pump that was defective. It's now fixed, I can start to enjoy the short summer here.