Is that sand blowing back into the pool or something else?

May 27, 2014
North East Georgia
Hello, I'm new here, but have been reading posts for about a year to help guide me through owning the pool that came with the house I bought 2 years ago.
Last year we had major algea, heavy metal and other issues and delayed opening by about a month. This year, we've been ahead of the game and got things cleared up early. We are now noticing what appears to be sand at the bottom of the pool. I've read other threads, but don't seem to answer my problem. The piles are in the middle of the shallow and deep ends directly out from each of the returns. They seem to be a greyish brownish color. I did try scooping some up but it disapated from being so fine, so my first thought was, maybe not sand. In order to keep my chemicals right, but not have a collection of garbage at the bottom, I switched my multiport to recirculate. There is no "dirt" at the bottom, so I believe I have it isolated to the filter, but is it sand or not? I have no idea the last time the sand was changed, but it appeared to be okay 2 years ago when I changed the multiport.

Background:

In ground pool: 24' x 48'
Hayward 2 HP pump, Hayward S310T sand filter (500lb)

I plan to do the Nylon check this evening, but do you have any other thoughts or pointers on this? All help is greatly appreciated. I look forward to learning more from this site and hopefully contributing as well.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:
but it disapated from being so fine, so my first thought was, maybe not sand.
You can just about bet it is not sand...it is dead algae.

Everything we teach here and the advice we give begins and ends with test results from your pool water. Can you post those up for us?

What is the Nylon test?

Thank you for your comments. I don't have the exact test results on hand, but my FC and TC are good. My PH was very low due to high muratic acid, so I emptied about 18" of water and refilled to dilute and my PH is back up the ideal range. The "nylon" test is as another person put it, where you take a nylon knee high and hold it over the return to see what comes out. I do backwash on a regular basis, but will let it go a bit longer to see if it helps.

At TFP, we figure out these issues by getting really accurate test results. Providing those (including CYA) would be your next best stop if you want to resolve the issue. I don't think it's sand but need those good test results to ferret out the issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.